About the Job
BuzzFeed is looking for a Software Engineer to help build out systems for BuzzFeed’s community of content creators. Our team consists of product managers, designers, data scientists, and engineers in New York and London. We are looking for an engineer with experience writing or contributing to robust APIs. Go experience is a plus, as is experience working on high performance APIs in production, however what really matters is that you’re ready to learn.
About the Products
On the BuzzFeed Community team we're making it simple and rewarding for anyone to make quizzes, lists, and comments on the BuzzFeed website. We're also empowering our internal staff to better engage with users and curate content. One way we’re thinking of fostering this engagement is by building out a notification system to tie together commenting, posting, user incentives, and more.
We want to grow BuzzFeed into a safe, inclusive space for our community to talk about what they love most - while limiting toxicity. Our team has the potential to fundamentally change how our users create content and interact with each other on the BuzzFeed website. We are currently finishing a rewrite of our comments API, and your work will potentially include experimenting with and iterating on this system to foster healthy enthusiastic discussion.
We’re looking for a thoughtful, compassionate engineer to help us build the systems that support these users. You!
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with a distributed team, working closely with engineers, product managers, designers, and data scientists in New York and London
- Write high-quality code and tests to build resilient scalable services
- Write and contribute to architecture proposals, and work on cross-team efforts to improve BuzzFeed Tech as a whole
- Participate in team wide point-sizings and retrospectives to improve developer workflows and processes
- Have your voice heard in brainstorms to develop new community features and experiences
- Contribute to a kind, inclusive team
About BuzzFeed tech stack
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions. A diversity of opinions is vital to building a strong community, and we want to hear your voice.
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in NYC!
- Potential to be featured and casted in a BuzzFeed Video
- Team outings to Karaoke, Medieval Times, and more
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.