BuzzFeed News seeks a senior copy editor for its English-language bureaus. We're looking for a news hound and self-professed word nerd who has a comprehensive knowledge of and passion for news language and standards, with a keen eye for grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, and all-around proper use of the English language.
Our ideal candidate is someone who has impeccable copyediting skills and great news judgment, can recite the day’s top headlines, is an internet and pop culture enthusiast, and knows how to edit copy for sensitivity, accuracy, inclusiveness, and consistency without losing tone or voice. They are also constantly thinking about the evolution of language in the internet era, recognizing when it’s important to deviate from the AP Stylebook and Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, and working in concert with editors to push and maintain the BuzzFeed Style Guide (@styleguide) as the voice of the internet.
Successful candidates will have at least five years’ experience as a copy editor for a digital media publisher and understand how to mentor and guide junior copy editors while responding to the needs of the newsroom.
This position will be based in New York.
- Oversee the copydesk’s workflow in the copy chief’s absence
- Maintain relationships with editors, reporters, curation, and producers around the newsroom
- Copyedit a wide variety of BuzzFeed News content — breaking news, daily stories, essays, investigations, features, videos, graphics, and app/display copy — for style, sensitivity, grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency, clarity, and concision
- Help maintain the BuzzFeed Style Guide and the copydesk’s internal resources, as well as grow its social media presence and newsletter readership
- Oversee, in concert with the copy chief, our monthly copydesk newsletter, Quibbles + Bits
- Monitor and manage corrections, updates, and standards across the newsroom
- At least 5 years’ copyediting experience at other digital media outlets and/or newspapers, magazines, etc.
- Demonstrated track record of thoughtful, careful, sensitive editing across various formats and platforms at the pace of the internet while juggling a variety of tasks
- Comprehensive knowledge of current affairs and pop culture, from reproductive rights and immigration to Fleabag.
- Proven ability to maintain style and standards for a global newsroom with a broad audience, as well as an understanding of the media landscape, journalism, and language trends to develop and improve workflow and copyediting techniques to better serve our staff and audience
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, namely the ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, and tactfully
- Fluency in the language of the internet, as well as American, British, and other forms of regional English, and the Associated Press and Chicago style guides
- Experience working within a CMS and the ability to identify issues and develop new editing tools
- Familiarity with photo rights, and experience copyediting photo essays/galleries, credits, and captions for accuracy, relevance, and brevity a bonus.
- Your résumé and cover letter that explains why you're the right person for the job and your ideas about language and editing
- Any personal social accounts you think we should see
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment and celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for growth and development via work experience and offerings from our in-house Learning Team
Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Jobs You May Like
Management, Nucks Misconduct (Vancouver Canucks) - Contract
Vox Media, Remote
Food Critic / Writer
Newsday Media Group, Melville, NY
DICE, London, Greater London UK
First Look Media
Audience Engagement Producer, The Intercept
First Look Media, New York, NY
Assistant Assigning Editor (Insurance)
NerdWallet, San Francisco, CA or Remote (based in the U.S.)