BuzzFeed Toronto is looking for a shopping and products-focused editor for a full-time position in our Toronto office. BuzzFeed's shopping section is an expanding editorial endeavor that includes both service-oriented and entertaining content for a shopping-minded audience (see our “Shopping” and “Reviews” pages for examples).
The ideal candidate is an experienced and conversational writer with experience managing and editing a team of writers. SEO experience is a plus. You will help our audience discover great products through fun and informative formats, from thoughtful and in-depth product reviews to themed roundups and more. If you're the type of person who's constantly discovering bizarre kitchen gadgets, coupon codes, or interesting stores and sending links to your friends until they beg you to stop, we'd love to hear from you! This role is specific to strong writing candidates with additional experience editing or managing a small team of staff or freelancers.
- Research products in various categories and price points that are of interest to the BuzzFeed Canadian audience.
- Write and edit shareable, unique product roundups as well as SEO-friendly shopping guides and reviews.
- Track and analyze your posts' site traffic and affiliate analytics.
- Manage a freelance network and/or small team composed of other shopping/product writers.
- 2+ years experience managing and/or editing a small team of staff or freelancers
- Previous experience editing and writing for a magazine or website, or exemplary blogging/writing experience about consumer products
- Strong attention to detail
- Flawless spelling, grammar, and usage in your writing
- A positive, curious, playful disposition with a sense of humor
- Genuine love for the internet and online shopping
- Strong understanding of the BuzzFeed audience and voice
- Previous affiliate experience a big plus
FYI — just because you don’t meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
- In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Discuss your shopping habits (for example: what do you always buy in-store vs. online, how do you find a good deal, what ~special tricks~ do you use that most people don’t know about, etc.).
- Tell us about a couple of products that you’re obsessed with.
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1600 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We fuse hard work and fun, through a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, and humble confidence. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.