We’re looking for a Product Design Manager to join our team in New York. As a Product Design Manager at BuzzFeed you’ll be responsible for managing a team of designers, shaping our product and design strategy, and at times jumping in and helping the team with projects.
The Product Design team at BuzzFeed is made up of multidisciplinary designers, who are individually responsible for all aspects of design: user research, UX design, visual design, prototyping and, at times, on the web, front-end implementation. Additionally, our designers are key collaborators when it comes to cross-disciplinary activities such as product discovery and A/B experiment definition, design and analysis. You can read more about our recruiting practices and our role documentation on Github. You can also read about our latest diversity numbers.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Managing and supporting a team of Product Designers. This includes helping your team deliver great results, providing and soliciting feedback, and allocating designers to teams and projects.
- Setting clear career development goals for direct reports. This includes regularly checking in on progress against those goals.
- Partnering with Product, Engineering, and Data Science to define and communicate strategic vision. This includes advocating for design and promoting a healthy understanding of, trust in, and appreciation for design processes with cross-discipline partners.
- Ensuring a high bar of quality in all products your team ships.
- Providing strong UX, Visual Design, and Product direction.
- Owning all design-related operations with the rest of the Design leadership team.
- Recruiting new designers and actively participating in the hiring process.
Who you are:
- You have experience managing designers and developing their careers.
- You have experience working on all parts of the product design process from research to UX to visual design.
- You enjoy collaborating with partners in Product, Engineering, and Data Science.
- You know how to balance speed and quality based on the scope, risk, stage, and impact of projects.
- You enjoy dynamic environments where changing course is not only the norm but is encouraged as a competitive advantage.
- You enjoy working with distributed teams and are an extraordinary communicator in every medium — from Slack to video conferencing to in-person gatherings.
- You know when to get into the weeds and design details to solve problems at a tactical level, but you also thrive when defining and setting strategy with your counterparts.
More about our team
On the BuzzFeed Product Design team, we care deeply about building a diverse team, and then supporting every team member in their career and skill growth. We are dedicated to creating and maintaining a respectful workplace that values everyone on our team bringing their whole selves to work.
BuzzFeed does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. If you have a disability, we're more than happy to accommodate and make the interview process better for you.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.