BuzzFeed is seeking an experienced New York-based Writer with strong editorial judgment for “BTW,” BuzzFeed’s daily Snapchat news/entertainment show. The ideal Writer is obsessed with the internet and pop culture, defining the show’s voice and personality through their strong command of the entertainment/news/media landscape, the BuzzFeed brand, social media, and trending stories, particularly stories that resonate with Millennials/Gen Z. BTW guides viewers through the latest and greatest viral stories the internet has to offer, and the writer is tasked with delivering those stories in a creative package that draws viewers in through GIFs, memes and viral internet clips. The show is daily Monday-Friday. Successful candidates have a proven track record of ideating and scripting compelling comedic visual content on a daily show. Candidates must be detail-oriented, creative thinkers with an ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Script daily short, attention-grabbing segments about the stories that are breaking the internet
- Work with production team and hosts on ideating segments, recurring features, and celebrity interview content.
- Work with Senior Producer to coach hosts on daily reads, aiming to create a voice that is casual and comedic.
- Draft click-worthy copy for Snapchat tiles and related social media posts.
- 5+ years of writing experience, ideally for a digital/social show.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and handle quickly-evolving news situations.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and stay organized in a quick turnaround production period.
- A positive and curious disposition, and a genuine love for and excitement about the internet and pop culture.
- Nice to have experience creating content targeting a Millennial/Gen Z audience and general knowledge of the subjects/celebrities that resonate with them.
- Send your resume, cover letter and up to 3 relevant writing samples/links that show your ability to react to pop culture/internet news in a talk show/sketch format
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.