BuzzFeed's content department is looking for a full-time, in-house Senior Copy Editor to work with our editorial team in our New York City office. We're looking for a self-professed “word nerd” with a comprehensive knowledge of (and passion for) grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, and all-around proper use of the English language. The copy editor will manage copyediting editorial and branded content in all forms, including posts and video.
You have solid copyediting and intrapersonal skills and experience with light fact-checking and know how to edit for accuracy and consistency without losing tone or voice. Are you incensed by the misuse of homophones? Can you spot a typo with your eyes half-closed? Are you simply going to lose it the next time someone uses a hyphen instead of an em dash? (You get the picture.)
You may be asked to complete a copy test before being interviewed. We're looking to hire someone who can start as soon as possible.
- Copyedit BuzzFeed posts and videos for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, and consistency
- Assist with light fact-checking
- Partner with writers, account managers, and sellers
- Show awareness of brand tone, flagging any copy for sensitivity issues or misalignment with client demographics
- At least three to four years’ experience copyediting in an editorial role at a website or magazine
- Familiarity with AP and Chicago style guides
- Deadline-oriented with solid collaboration skills
- Ability to quickly adapt to new writing styles and formats
- Familiarity with British English a plus
- Comfort with the fast pace of internet publishing
- A positive, curious, playful disposition
- Your résumé
- A cover letter that explains why you'd be perfect for the job
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.