Software Engineer, Core Infrastructure
BuzzFeed, San Francisco
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed’s Core Infrastructure Group is looking for an eager-to-learn engineer to help build the infrastructure that powers our sites and products. You would be reporting to a Staff Engineer located in SF. Our group’s mission is to make it painless, safe, and enjoyable for developers to build and manage their applications at BuzzFeed. We do this through building tools informed by best practices - which combine to create an instrumented, secure, and resilient platform.
In 2016 we built rig, a PaaS powered by Docker and AWS ECS. Since then we have continued to iterate and add to the platform. Rig now powers all of BuzzFeed’s sites and products, with over 500 microservices running on it — with each one supported by the team responsible. Across the platform we’ve had around 150,000 deploys in the 3 years since launch.
Then in 2017 we created a single sign on identity aware proxy — buzzfeed/sso — which we then open sourced in 2018. This has seen wide adoption by the community, in terms of contributions to our GitHub repo as well as the feedback we’ve received from others who rely on it.
Among our more recent initiatives are a storage library, which has added zero-config provisioning of datastores for developers, and the introduction of automated, continuous deployment to production, both of which are further eliminating friction from the development process.
We’re looking for an engineer who understands how good tools can shape company culture, and who is passionate about creating tools and automation to develop and improve the platform that underpins BuzzFeed
What you'll do:
- Build and maintain core infrastructure, including the platform that all other products and services depend on
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation, but value work life balance, so design systems to be fault tolerant and resilient.
- Participate in a support rotation to help keep the tech org running smoothly, while looking for ways to increase system resiliency and to automate away your own support tasks.
- Collaborate with domain experts across the company, including engineers building user-facing products, data scientists training novel machine learning models, and investigative journalists publishing original reports.
- Work with a mix of proven and cutting edge technologies in a distributed ecosystem
- Participate in and lead collaborative code and architecture reviews
- Identify patterns where we can create standardized tooling to replace previous manual or adhoc solutions.
Who you are:
- You take pride in discovering simple and elegant solutions to complex problems
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity
- You care about the developer experience
- You believe in minimizing the time that code spends between merge and deployment to production
- You always make the time to thoughtfully review others' designs and code
- You mentor and facilitate the growth of the people around you
- You carefully weigh the tradeoffs of any technology, knowing that they are simply tools that help you achieve your goals
- You think of systems as modular and composable services
- You are constantly learning and re-evaluating previous assumptions
- You are familiar with the foundational tools of modern development such as relational databases and REST.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, engineering workshops, Employee Resource Groups, hack weeks, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary, equity and 401k matching
- An opportunity to assist journalists on stories through our Tech + News working group
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, team outings and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, and birthday treats
- Additional PTO for participating in after hours support rotations
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Jobs You May Like
Support Engineer, Data Platform
DraftKings, Boston, MA