BuzzFeed News is looking for a Culture Writer for its Reader vertical who has a deep understanding of how provocative culture writing can create a cultural conversation online and beyond. You will be part of a team that ties together cultural criticism, reported essays, features, and personal essays to change the way we think about culture. You are a versatile writer who pitches dynamic story ideas on a variety of topics and can write both nuanced features and quick, thoughtful reactions to what’s happening in culture on any given day.
This is a full-time position based in New York City or Los Angeles, and reports to the Executive Editor for the culture desk.
- Help promote BuzzFeed News' coverage of culture by generating meaningful and complex story ideas
- Move the cultural conversation forward on the site and in the culture at large
- Publish stories including thoughtful cultural criticism and incisive magazine-style features
- Fact-check own stories and contribute to productive conversations on social media
- At least 2 years experience writing for a major news or culture publication as a staff writer or freelancer
- Decisive, empathic thinker who is also a team player
- Deep love and understanding of culture, pop culture, entertainment, literature, and ambitious criticism and journalism in a range of forms
- Interest in covering both mainstream and oft-ignored conversations about culture (particularly identity, entertainment, media, literature, and politics) in a new way
- Genuine interest in the way that culture stories travel on social media, particularly Twitter and Facebook, and can write work that stands out online
- Sense of humor!
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Jobs You May Like
BGB Group, BGB Group