BuzzFeed News is looking for a thoughtful and experienced news junkie to join our News Curation team.
You have experience at a professional news organization, an interest in playing with new platforms, and excited to be a part of a fast-paced and innovative newsroom. You will want to figure out what people are sharing and talking about online and how that blends into how we promote BuzzFeed News’ unique and award-winning journalism.
You will be a part of the team that runs distribution and strategy in NY and LA. Your day will involve carrying out our strategy on all of the platforms where BuzzFeed News lives, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and our homepage. News Curation editors also work with desk editors and reporters to ensure that stories are promoted on time. This is a great opportunity for someone who is just starting out as a journalist. Being an absolute nerd about news and how it travels online is a must!
This job is full-time (including a weekend shift) and based in Los Angeles. You will report to the Lead Editor. We offer great benefits package and a stock option program.
- Manage the daily output on BuzzFeed News’ accounts on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and more.
- Prioritizing the promotion of stories on BuzzFeed News social accounts and home page. You need to be comfortable understanding complex pieces in a timely fashion.
- Crafting push notifications and promotion copy for everything BuzzFeed News publishes
- Provide live coverage during breaking news events.
- Embrace new ways to tell news stories across BuzzFeed’s distributed news channels.
- Bachelor’s degree. 1-2 years working experience editing an app, homepage, or social media account for a news organization preferred.
- An instinct for news and an eagerness to build news judgement
- Ability to keep a cool head under pressure and work quickly, accurately in a fast-paced breaking news environment.
- Interested in real-time social reporting: searching for photos, live-tweeting press conferences, etc.
- An interest in why stories take off, and a hunger to learn about real-time analytics and social sharing tools.
- Must be a team player and live on the Internet.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.