BuzzFeed is looking for an experienced, passionate, and inspiring Content Lead to oversee written and video content for BuzzFeed Canada. Based in Toronto and reporting to our Director, International Content (based in the US), you will manage and motivate a small team of full time and freelance creatives, and oversee and create editorial and branded content for BuzzFeed’s O&O, distributed platforms and portfolio of media brands.
You are a player-coach with a natural understanding and passion for the digital, pop culture and lifestyle landscape, and an intimate knowledge of all things internet. You're knowledgeable about digital publishing and social strategy, and have experience in the sponsored content or advertising space. Working across both editorial and branded work, you will lead brainstorms, set goals, ensure consistent output and performance, and share learnings with your team and the wider international org. You will develop and implement a compelling content strategy for BuzzFeed Canada, and act as a creative supervisor across all work produced for the Canadian audience. You'll be collaborative, organized, and innovative, with an excellent ability to client-face, and inspire others in the business.
- Develop excellent, original editorial and branded content that will delight (and help grow) the BuzzFeed Canada audience.
- Be a thoughtful and passionate writer and editor across a variety of genres, disciplines, frames, and formats.
- Balance brilliant creative work with branded client requests and industry-specific knowledge.
- Produce, shoot, and direct both branded and editorial video.
- Be a strategic and conceptual thinker.
- Grow and inspire top creative talent.
- Ensure output, performance, and good morale is maintained across the team.
- Create professional client relationships built on trust, respect, and results.
- Plan, conceptualize, and understand research to create and achieve results.
- Present results and insights tied to goals at the end of programs or campaigns.
- Uphold the values of transparency, collaboration, and good communication in the growth of the Content organization at BuzzFeed Canada.
- Collaborate across multiple teams to provide timely work that exceeds expectations.
- Think big to develop BuzzFeed’s brand, business, and editorial footprint in Canada.
- 8+ years of experience making written and/or video content.
- Management and creative leadership experience in digital creative space.
- Experience in video concepting, scripting, and execution.
- Excellent copy editing and written communication skills.
- Extensive client-facing experience.
- A passion for food and experience creating food content is a plus.
- A working knowledge of the fundamentals of brand development, digital marketing, and the creative direction process.
- Engaging, conceptual writing skills across formats and verticals that show range, from expertise to humor.
- A passion for advertising with the ability to think about the unique challenges for brands and develop content that meets each partner’s needs.
- An interest in and deep knowledge of the social web, including experience producing work for a variety of platforms, apps and social networks.
- Experience at hiring and coordinating freelance personnel, as well as optimizing their workflow.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently, while keeping a cool head under pressure.
- A "no haters" philosophy.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... and so much more!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company, delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We value experimentation, teamwork, inclusion, humble confidence. At BuzzFeed, you’ll work collaboratively with inspiring colleagues to create technology and content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.