We’re looking for a threat analyst that’s seeking an unstructured, dynamic environment to join BuzzFeed’s security team. You will be responsible for searching out and assessing threats internationally to BuzzFeed staff, property and projects, as well as assisting in our incident response. The ideal candidate will have a deep knowledge of the American media landscape and be eager to work closely with our creative talent and news reporters.
Beyond the traditional analyst responsibilities, we ask that you have a willingness to roll-up your sleeves and help out across the security team to implement production security protocols and processes where necessary to support projects, and an interest to learn more about on-the-ground operations of a global media org.
- Seek out, investigate, analyze and report threats against BuzzFeed operations using open source tools online.
- Assist in creating analyses of specific threats as identified, and help research and write assessments for domestic and international news assignments and video productions.
- Serve as a “first responder” to incidents of threat and harassment, which can include interviewing staff and contractors to understand what occurred and what onward steps need to be taken.
- Conduct debriefs with teams returning from the assignments or productions in the field
- Follow industry trends in threat analysis and improve our understanding of the American media landscape
- Take direction from and partner with the Head of High Risk on internal safety and security initiatives
- Be readily available outside of normal work hours to lead and/or assist in tracking reporters while in the field and to respond to emergencies.
- Think operationally alongside our teams to determine what protocols might be necessary to assist in their safety when reporting out major news stories, e.g. civil unrest and natural disasters.
- Be a compassionate listener and source of support for those facing harassment, threats, or in the midst of an emergency incident.
- A passion for BuzzFeed’s mission to spread joy and truth
- A background in threat analysis or risk assessment
- Experience working with both State and National security institutions (PD, FBI, etc.)
- A network of global contacts in the high risk and physical security fields
- Experience working in media, security or other mission-driven organizations that operate in challenging or adversarial contexts
- An eagerness to learn about the security processes that help drive the story forward, while having a strong confidence in your analytic capabilities.
- A strong sense of discretion — but understand the need to give generously with other media organizations to improve our collective safety
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.