Senior Software Engineer, Content Systems
The social news and entertainment company.
About the Job
BuzzFeed is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help build features and improve our Content Systems. Our team consists of product managers, designers, data scientists, and engineers around the world. You will have the opportunity to build software that’s used to create and publish hundreds of pieces of news and entertainment content that reaches hundreds of millions of people every day. Content Systems specializes in unlocking digital media with single-page applications and APIs. You'll report to the engineering lead on Content Systems.
About the Products
BuzzFeed owns and operates its Content Management System (CMS), which has led digital media with new formats like lists and quizzes, and more traditional posts and breaking news formats. Our team supports editors and community contributors as they produce BuzzFeed’s web content and ensuring its availability to clients through APIs. We've expanded our team’s focus to include video which has a significant infrastructure footprint.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with a distributed team, working closely with engineers, product managers and designers in Minneapolis, New York and around the world.
- Build, maintain, and support backend systems and microservice fleets that enhance post and video workflows.
- Write high-quality code and tests to build resilient services
- Unlock new efficiencies for video production with automation
- Contribute to a kind, inclusive team that’s enthusiastic about digital content creation
Who you are
- Experience with distributed micro-services and message queue service architecture
- Ability to navigate services that use a variety of design patterns
- You are passionate about helping drive decisions that improve maintenance, reliability, resilience, and instrumentation
- Knowledgeable with Python, Go a plus
About BuzzFeed’s tech stack
We know that talented engineers come from a variety of backgrounds and languages – if you don’t already know the languages that we use, we’ll help you to pick it up.
- Our backend services are written in Python, Go, or node.js depending on the scope and context of the service.
- We use NSQ for our messaging platform
- Our frontend consists of JS frameworks, such as React, Preact, and Backbone
- Monitoring / Instrumentation is essential for our operations. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, and proprietary services.
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle. The same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, and run their services using containers on AWS/GCP.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive and inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats
- Fun team/office outings
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Jobs You May Like
Full Stack Engineer
Knotel, Knotel NYC