Managing Editor, Newsroom Operations
BuzzFeed is looking for an organized, enthusiastic and news-minded managing editor to run the operations behind BuzzFeed News. You are a detail-oriented team player who lights up at the challenge of turning nascent ideas into workable plans and then executing on those plans —someone who is comfortable simultaneously managing multiple projects that have crossover with different parts of the company, each with radically different timelines and stakeholders. Logistics make up a big part of this job, but so does emotional intelligence. You are someone who is both stunningly good at getting things done and stunningly diplomatic in doing so.
You should have at least 5 years of experience in operations management, plus experience managing budgets and people. Although this is a job within a newsroom, it is not required that you come in with journalism experience -- as long as you bring a genuine passion about the societal importance of reporting and journalism.
You will be based in the New York office and report to the Executive Editor, Strategy. You will also work closely with the Editor-in-Chief, deputy editor-in-chief, and other senior news editors. We offer great compensation package and stock option program.
- Oversee budgeting for the newsroom, in close collaboration with senior managers and finance
- Be a gatekeeper for all newsroom contracts for freelancers and consultants
- Help conceive and execute a membership strategy
- Provide on-site operations and planning for large events like the 2020 political conventions and Olympics
- Be the main newsroom point person between the newsroom and several other parts of the organization: facilities, IT, licensing, product/tech, legal, HR
- Coordinate with outside vendors to set up newsroom trainings
- Manage and approve valuable newsroom resources like subscriptions and reporting tools
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- 5+ years of experience in an operational role, ideally at a news or media organization
- Willingness to take on night and weekend work when needed
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple complex projects
- Your résumé and cover letter that explains why you're the right person for the job
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment and celebrates inclusion in all circumstances.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.