BuzzFeed News’ breaking news division is looking for a thoughtful and fast-paced reporter who is eager to dig into the news of the moment and find ways to tell that story to our unique audience.
You will report on a general assignment desk built for the internet era. Depending on the day, that could involve reporting out or traveling to catastrophes, diving into the origin of the latest meme taking over internet culture, going for angles and scoops that cut through the noise, or writing about topics that the BuzzFeed News audience trusts us to cover.
You are both ready to take on these assignments and come up with your own pitches, understanding that this desk’s goal is to provide fast, internet savvy, and distinctive coverage. You understand how information — and disinformation — travels online, is skeptical and doesn’t fall into accepted narratives, can identify fresh angles in news and online culture before they hit the mainstream.
The hours are roughly 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT, Monday to Friday, and the reporter is part of the weekend rotation and holiday signup schedules.
You will work with our staff of breaking news reporters and editors in New York City, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Toronto, and Chicago. Our team seeks to be the best equipped to chase the biggest news of the moment, be it internet culture, crime, politics, tech, entertainment, and whatever else the world throws at us.
- Have at least three years of experience on a news desk, either as a general assignment reporter or as someone who has an area of expertise.
- Be able to write clearly and can develop distinctive frames for your pieces.
- Can appreciate and see the value in lighter, social news, while reporting it with the same degree of seriousness and skill that you'd bring to an in-depth, hard news feature.
- Be savvy about news happening on and off the internet, and be skeptical.
- Can handle high-pressure, quick-deadline situations on some of the most competitive stories in the world.
- Be willing to get out the door to the scenes of news, and, when on-scene, feel comfortable operating away from the big media pack and be your own person.
- Know how to inspire and collaborate with some of the best breaking news reporters in the country.
- Understand where to find public information and how to fight for it.
This newsroom is not for the complacent. You’ve got to be game for a team that always tries new things, that stays on top of the latest developments in how people communicate online, and that pushes tenaciously to get the best information to people as fast as possible. We are, as we say, intense but friendly.
The job is based in Los Angeles and reports to the News Editor. We offer great compensation package, a generous parental leave policy, and a stock option program.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.