BuzzFeed is seeking an experienced software engineer to help us build the next generation of machine learning infrastructure. We need your help and expertise to build out tools and platforms that will allow data scientists and engineers alike to iterate quickly on training, evaluating, and deploying models. In this role you will work on a range of initiatives that help us make more efficient matches between content and audiences, including feed personalization, content recommendations, text classification, ad targeting, traffic forecasting, and more. Your work will impact the way readers around the world experience the best content on the internet.
We’re a distributed team that works closely with data scientists, engineers, and product managers across offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, and London.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate closely with data scientists and engineers to develop frameworks, tooling, and capabilities to solve complex business problems through data
- Design, build, and iterate on components and services that power our machine learning platform
- Collaborate closely with multidisciplinary teams of product managers, designers, software engineers, data engineers, and data scientists
- Design infrastructure under such constraints as scale, cost, correctness, usability, experimentation, and maintainability
- Become an expert on leveraging state-of-the-art machine learning tooling (TensorFlow, TFX, BigQuery, Cloud Bigtable)
- Utilize your experience to drive best practices in machine learning and data engineering across the Tech org
- Determine the feasibility of projects through quick prototyping with respect to performance, quality, time, and cost
- Mentor engineers and other members of the team
Who You Are:
- You understand that the web is for everyone and build inclusive, accessible systems
- You have previous industry experience with ML systems using frameworks such as Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, and Keras
- You have previously built large scale APIs and libraries for Python or Go
- You care about data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation
- You are familiar with research publications in the machine learning and software engineering communities
- You preferably have experience with data processing and storage frameworks like Google BigQuery, BigTable, Cloud Dataflow, and Airflow
- You are comfortable working and iterating on evolving workflows and requirements
- You are comfortable working in SQL (BigQuery) on large scale data sets
- You are a skilled communicator and have a proven record of leading work across disciplines
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.