BuzzFeed is looking for an attorney to join the team responsible for the daily management of our US commercial and service contracts, and corporate governance matters. The attorney will draft, review, and negotiate on several commercial agreements and contracts with emphasis in the media, digital media, advertising, ad-tech, and technology space, and will provide legal guidance to the ad sales, marketing and creative services organizations, and several other corporate services groups. The Attorney will be based in our New York office.
- Negotiate, draft and interpret several commercial agreements and other legal documents relating to advertising sales and integrations, sponsorship and promotional partnerships, event/venue arrangements, real estate, procurement, research and technology services (including master services agreements and statements of work).
- Review marketing materials and provide advice and counsel to multiple departments across the company regarding marketing, advertising, and other consumer regulatory issues.
- Provide legal services and advice as it relates to sweepstakes and contests, including preparing sweepstakes and contest rules, reviewing marketing copy and providing disclaimers and notice provisions.
- Coordinate with other legal team members regarding data privacy/security issues in different agreements.
- Develop form agreements and policies for use by internal client groups.
- Provide transactional legal support for general commercial agreements associated with the operations of BuzzFeed including Finance, Commerce and HR.
- Provide support in connection with corporate transactions and governance-related matters.
- Manage agreements negotiated by outside counsel and weigh in on business risks.
- Be based onsite in the New York office and be part of an active and collaborative work environment amongst main department partners and legal team colleagues. Periodic travel to other offices may be required.
- Remain current on developments in the industry and technology to maintain efficiency in performance.
- Maintain visibility in the industry by networking with peers in similar positions at other companies and keeping up-to-date with industry changes.
- Perform other work as assigned by your manager.
- JD and active member of the NY State Bar, in good standing
- 3+ years of top law firm or large corporate department experience with media or digital media-related commercial transactions, including contract negotiations and drafting
- Experience interpreting and explaining contractual terms, conditions, and legal principles to colleagues and customers and directly negotiate with suppliers and customers
- Experience drafting and negotiating a broad variety of corporate transactional documents and commercial contracts including:
- advertising and marketing agreements (including agreements with advertising technology providers and exchanges)
- content, data and distribution arrangements across all media platforms and devices
- software/technology licensing and development agreements (including SaaS and PaaS)
- Procurement/vendor contracts
- board resolutions and minutes
- corporate certificates
- The ability to develop positive working relationships with all business clients and other related personnel (e.g., advertisers, agencies, and technology vendors) for the benefit of BuzzFeed
- Skill at Interpreting and providing advice to internal clients regarding rights, obligations, restrictions, and all other contractual provisions and financial aspects of our commercial contracts
- The desire to work in a collaborative and engaging environment
- Make recommendations based on reasoned legal analysis and our strategic goals
- Willingness to tackle matters in and outside areas of expertise with a can-do attitude and understanding that no job is too big or too small
- Comfort presenting and communicating, both written and verbally, to our teams and outside counsel
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Have the legal right to work in the United States
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.