BuzzFeed is looking for a writer / editor for a full-time position in our New York or LA office to cover trending stories for BuzzFeed.com. You are an experienced and conversational writer and editor with skill in the fast-paced world of social and trending news coverage. If you're the type of person who's always looking on Twitter or Reddit or LinkedIn (who knows!) for interesting stories and sending links to your friends until they beg you to stop, we'd love to hear from you! Bonus points for anyone with experience managing a small team of staff or freelancers or anyone with SEO experience.
- Identify human interest, lifestyle, and other trending stories that would be a fit for BuzzFeed.com (Some examples of what we mean here: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5)
- Write in a shareable, unique, SEO-friendly way
- Edit staff writers and freelancers as needed with little oversight
- Track and analyze your posts' site traffic and other analytics and use that to inform future ideas or projects
- Provide guidance for larger team on how to identify and write social news and human interest content, including defining best practices and making the final call in areas of sensitivity or uncertainty
- Cover events and conduct interviews as needed; work after hours and weekends as needed
- 3+ years experience editing and writing for a magazine or website, or blogging/writing experience
- Experience creating timely content under time pressure
- Experience writing about and editing difficult and sensitive subject matter
- Experience (or comfortability) reaching out to sources and experts and conducting interviews
- Attention to detail
- Flawless spelling, grammar, and usage in your writing
- A positive, curious, playful disposition with a sense of humor
- Genuine love for the internet
- Understanding of the BuzzFeed audience and voice
- Familiarity with social monitoring tools (i.e. Crowdtangle or Buzzsumo) is a plus
- Previous trending news experience a big plus
- FYI — just because you don’t meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
- Discuss the kinds of trending news stories that excite you, and that you would like to write about for BuzzFeed, and why
- Tell us about which social networks you use the most, and why
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.