BuzzFeed is seeking a Site Reliability Engineer to help build and operate the infrastructure that powers our products. This is a huge opportunity to be part of a growing team and help shape the way we develop, deploy, and operate production quality systems.
We have built our own platform as a service with Docker and AWS ECS to make it easy for other engineers to deploy and run their services. We're looking for talented engineers who are passionate about creating tools and automation to develop and improve this platform.
Tech at BuzzFeed is an exciting and fun place to work — we operate at scale (billions of monthly content views) with lots of interesting challenges and with 100+ other engineers there's always someone available to help.
We offer competitive compensation with stock options, generous benefits, and tasty perks — including catered lunch twice a week, a well stocked kitchen and bagel Fridays. We host team outings and special events like music breaks and summer film series.
We have engineering wide hack weeks (http://bit.ly/bf-hack-week-video) and we deeply value open source, giving back to the community by speaking, hosting meetups and contributing to projects we benefit from.
About The Job:
- Build and maintain core infrastructure, including the platform that all other products and services depend on
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation
- Collaborate with product and engineering in the design and architecture of systems
- Reports to the Director of Engineering, Site Reliability
- You are empathetic, curious, and pragmatic
- You have emotional intelligence
- You take initiative
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- You care about “the engineering experience”
- You mentor and facilitate the growth of the people around you
- You carefully weigh the tradeoffs of any technology, knowing that they are simply tools that help you achieve your goals
- You think of systems as modular and composable services
- You take pride in discovering simple and elegant solutions to complex problems
- You are constantly learning and re-evaluating previous assumptions
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity
- You follow the “continuous delivery” model
You Are Familiar With:
- Python / Go
- AWS / GCP
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Source Control (Git)
- Databases (MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, BigQuery, ElasticSearch)
- Messaging systems (NSQ, Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Config Management (Ansible, Terraform)
- Infrastructure Tools (Docker, Consul, Kubernetes)
- Continuous Integration (Jenkins)
- Monitoring / Instrumentation (Nagios, Prometheus, Graphite, Ganglia, StatsD)
- Team “White and Gold” vs team “Blue and Black”
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 18 cities around the world and more than 1300 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We infuse hard work and fun though a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality and humble confidence. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.