Software Engineer / Senior Software Engineer
BuzzFeed, New York
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed is looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer to help build features and improve our Ad Tech platforms. Our team consists of product managers, project managers, designers, data scientists, and engineers throughout the globe, but mainly co-located in New York. You will have the opportunity to enhance the monetization of BuzzFeed and its media brands by partnering with stakeholders to increase revenue, optimize margin, and have a lasting impact on BuzzFeed’s financial success.
About the Products
BuzzFeed can be the best at monetizing attention based on the functional, social, and emotional aspects of the content it is paired with. Our team supports this mission by maximizing user lifetime value by balancing seamless user experience while expertly optimizing, adapting, and distributing all of our content and advertising. You’ll have the unique opportunity to define how a global media organization scales its business and partners with stakeholders across the company to create a sustainable monetization ecosystem.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with product, design, data science, infra, and other internal partners
- Architect features requiring integration with new and existing services
- Write high-quality code and tests to build resilient services
- Participate in team wide retrospectives to improve developer workflows and processes
- Contribute to a laid back but hungry culture of the team
Who you are:
- You have a mix of frontend and backend experience
- You have experience integrating data from disparate systems and understand raw SQL
- You take UX seriously and want to build awesome internal tools
- You are interested in supporting team members and are passionate about teaching and learning
About BuzzFeed tech stack
We know that good engineers come from a variety of backgrounds and languages – if you don’t know already know the languages that we use, we trust that you’ll learn.
- Our frontend consists of various JS frameworks, such as React, Preact, and T3. You can go “vanilla js” when appropriate
- Our backend services are written in Python, Go, or node.js depending on the scope and context of the service
- Monitoring / Instrumentation is critical for our advertising stack. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, and proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, and run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
A big plus
- You can go full-stack if you need to (Python, Docker, AWS)
- Healthy interest in emerging platform level technologies - http/2, service worker, offline storage, etc.
- Experience with publishing packages (npm, etc.)
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.