Sitting within BuzzFeed’s newly created Product Labs, and aligning closely with BuzzFeed’s Market Team, this position will be responsible for writing commerce content and testing various new content formats with the goal of increasing conversion.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, with a unique mix of an editorial and merchandising background, experience in the ecommerce space, and possessing a strong understanding of consumer buying habits. We are looking for someone who brings energy and passion to everything they do and is dedicated to connecting with consumers through the content they produce. Testing and learning will be the key to success, so this candidate should feel comfortable with understanding reporting and analytics, and willing to adjust content strategy based on performance data.
- Write and produce shopping content, with the main KPI of driving and increasing conversion for the featured products
- Test various content formats and product assortments to identify the price point, product categories, content themes and retailers that resonate the strongest with the BuzzFeed audience
- Work closely with the Affiliate Commerce Lead to test merchant specific opportunities and to proactively identify opportunities to negotiate higher rates for big commerce initiatives
- One to three years of editorial experience
- Experience with writing copy for retail products
- Knowledge of the digital commerce space and emerging industry trends
- A creative mind and a strong understanding of what content inspires readers to convert
- Knowledge of the affiliate space is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Flexibility and willingness to test various content formats
- Knowledge of various product categories, including but not limited to fashion, beauty, home, lifestyle and tech
- Experience writing product reviews would be a plus
About BuzzFeed Product Labs
BuzzFeed Product Labs is BuzzFeed’s newest (and coolest) venture; tasked with developing consumer products and experiences that are aligned with what BuzzFeed does best; creating things (products, e-commerce experiences, etc) that are inherently sharable & speak to specific audiences / identities. Product Labs functions independent of Buzzfeed proper and is much more akin to a start-up than a big corporation. Recent Product Labs initiatives include The Fondoodler, a hot glue gun for cheese, the Tasty Cookbook (100k copies sold in 34 days!), Homesick Candles, The Fuckshit Shop, and BuzzFeed’s Trump inspired garbage bin.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 18 cities around the world and more than 1300 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We infuse hard work and fun through a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and infusing hard work and fun. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.