Personal Finance Editor (project based)
BuzzFeed, New York or Los Angeles
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed is looking for a personal finance editor for a full-time, 3 month contract position on our US team (with possibility to extend after 3 months). As part of a new editorial endeavor, they'll lead BuzzFeed’s expansion into the personal finance space by developing service-oriented and entertaining content for a largely millennial and Gen Z audience.
You are an experienced and conversational writer and editor with skill in personal finance–related content. They will help our audience understand money matters, big and small, making complex (and let’s face it, often dry) financial topics simple, accessible, and entertaining. They’ll pioneer fun and informative formats, from thoughtful explainers about credit scores and 401Ks to (actually useful) savings tips and financial product reviews to relatable personal stories, and more. If you're the type of person who could whip up a budget in their sleep, knows how to hack their way around the credit card points system, and isn’t afraid to have a frank conversation about money with friends, we'd love to hear from you! Bonus points for anyone with experience managing a small team of freelancers and/or writing affiliate posts.
- Lead the strategy for BuzzFeed’s personal finance content.
- Have an understanding of the broader finance industry and the challenges facing millennials and Gen Z.
- Research financial topics and products in different categories and that are of interest to the diverse BuzzFeed audience.
- Write, edit, and commission shareable, helpful, relatable, entertaining, and SEO-friendly personal financial posts
- Develop innovative editorial formats, series, and projects
- Work with audience development team to identify and grow new audiences
- Analyze your posts' site traffic and affiliate analytics (if applicable).
- Manage a small freelance network
- Previous experience editing and writing for a magazine or website, or exemplary blogging/writing experience about personal finance
- Strong attention to detail
- Flawless spelling, grammar, and usage in your writing
- Empathy, and the ability to produce relatable and accessible finance content for people from all backgrounds and financial situations.
- Genuine love for the internet and finance-related matters
- Experience with the BuzzFeed audience and voice
- Previous experience writing finance affiliate content and a network of freelance writers with expertise in personal finance a big plus
FYI — just because you don’t have a college degree or meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
- In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Discuss your personal finance habits (for example: how do you set a savings goal and stick to it, what ~budgeting hack~ do you use that most people don’t know about, etc.).
- Tell us about a couple of personal finance tools or resources that you’re passionate about.
- What’s the best piece of money advice you’ve ever been given?
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.