News Photo Editor
BuzzFeed, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC
The social news and entertainment company.
Did you grow up looking at National Geographic and Time Magazine and wanting to be a photographer? Are you obsessed with visual stories and Instagram? Do you believe that pictures are worth maybe more than a thousand words? We are looking to hire a photo editor at BuzzFeed News to help shape the visual voice for the next generation!
- Support the news desk by pulling engaging photo research for news pieces, and curating photo stories for an audience that is visually savvy.
- Find photos that take our audience on the ground where news is breaking.
- Spotlight the work of an up-and-coming photographer or exhibition that's relevant, such as this story on racism and this series on COVID-19 survivors.
- Work closely with award-winning journalists, visual producers, and the news desk to ensure that our imagery is smart and thoughtful.
- 3-6 years of professional experience, preferably in a newsroom. We are looking for someone who is detail oriented and able to work in a fast-paced environment, and who has a strong visual eye, strong news judgement, and good writing and communication skills. As we are an online news organization, an understanding of the internet and how images work on different platforms is a must.
- Familiarity with agencies, photo licensing practices and copyright law, and a passion for photography.
- Strong social media or video skills, and a deep knowledge of photo history and current photo trends would be a plus.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter including two ideas for photo essays you’d want to do this week. Finalists will also be asked to take an edit test.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.