Trending News Writer - PM Shift (project-based)
BuzzFeed, New York
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed is looking for a contracted writer to work with our team working nights. You will take assignments from our night editor to turn around as quickly as possible. You have experience sourcing, pitching, and writing about timely stories. You are plugged into a variety of film and TV shows and have a willingness to obsessively cover them.
This is a three-month contract-based position and available to start immediately. This is a remote position. Residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington are encouraged to apply. This position requires working off-hours Sundays through Thursdays. Rate is $30/hr, 40hrs. per week.
- Take assignments from BuzzFeed’s Night Editor and execute them quickly
- Create and produce ideas for content based on news of the day
- Dream up evergreen stories for slow news days
- Attend brainstorms and contribute to team goals
- Work weekends and late-night hours
- The ability to cover a wide range of topics including music, tv, film, fashion, beauty, sports, etc.
- Experience writing about sensitive topics
- The ability to find unique angles for major news stories
- Experience writing trending stories required
- A forensic approach to writing about pop culture
- Experience vetting and sourcing photos a plus
- Experience with SEO a plus
- The ability to take perspective of others
- Instead of a formal cover letter, please send a short explanation of why you would be a good fit for this role and what kinds of trending news content you would like to cover for BuzzFeed
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within and across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Minimalist makeup and skincare
Jobs You May Like
First Look Media
Photo Editor, The Intercept
First Look Media, New York, NY