Deputy Culture Editor
BuzzFeed, New York (preferred), Remote (select states)
The social news and entertainment company.
You will support the Executive Editor by focusing on culture topics and cultural reporting, including LGBTQ, books and pop culture. In addition to managing writers/reporters, you will acquire and edit pieces by freelance writers, as well as directly manage writers/reporters on staff.
Guide overall subject area coverage for a desk of 3-6 reporters, editors and writers/freelance writers; assign stories, making both content and management decisions; track story successes and misfires; manage editorial calendars and package planning; work with other desks in the newsroom on complex stories; stay on top of traffic and story promotion; manage social accounts for the desk; plan award submissions; recruit; write; work with people team on management matters; represent the Culture desk and company in public forums; report into and support Executive Editor, Culture in long-term projects and goal-setting.
- 4+ years of editing experience. An understanding of how to identify writers and subjects that can break through on the internet and help improve audience engagement, along with a seemingly peerless familiarity with both ongoing and oft-ignored conversations about identity, entertainment, books and culture. Excellent at top and line-editing different modes of literary writing and reporting, dynamic interest in contemporary fiction, nonfiction and poetry, able to manage projects with a number of moving parts while also motivating/driving a team of writers/editors to meet their own goals. Managing spreadsheets (can maintain complex spreadsheets) with freelance budgets and calendars for both staff and freelance writers. A desire to develop new writers/reporters as well as challenging experienced writers/reporters to reach new heights, helping writers/reporters with sourcing, while also being passionate about beating the competition.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Minimalist makeup and skincare