BuzzFeed Canada is looking for a shopping- and products-focused writer for a contract junior position on our Toronto team in a contract role. BuzzFeed's shopping section is an expanding editorial endeavor that includes both service-oriented and entertaining content for a shopping-minded audience. You are a skilled and conversational writer with talent in consumer- and shopping-related content creation. You'll help our audience discover great products through entertaining and informative formats, from themed roundups to personal reviews and more. If you're the type of person who's constantly discovering bizarre kitchen gadgets, coupon codes, or interesting stores and sending links to your friends until they beg you to stop, we'd love to hear from you!
Contracted rate is $4,000 - $4,300/mo; monthly rate will be based on experience.
- Research products in various categories and price points that are of interest to the BuzzFeed audience.
- Write shareable, unique product roundups as well as SEO-friendly shopping guides and reviews.
- Track and analyze your posts' site traffic and affiliate analytics.
- Previous experience/internship writing for a magazine or website about consumer products (or exemplary blogging/writing experience)
- Strong attention to detail
- Flawless spelling, grammar, and usage in your writing
- A positive, curious, playful disposition with a sense of humor
- An ability to write important information in a fun, conversational voice that sounds like someone talking to their best friend
- Genuine love for the internet and online shopping
- Understanding of the BuzzFeed audience and voice
- Previous affiliate experience a big plus
FYI — just because you don’t meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
- In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Discuss your shopping habits (e.g.: what do you always buy in-store vs. online, how do you find a good deal, what ~special tricks~ do you use that most people don’t know about, etc.).
- Tell us about a couple of products that you’re obsessed with.
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within and across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is committed to diversity and inclusion in our hiring process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, indigenous status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.