As the Director of Data Science, you will lead a team working on both internal tools that help our teams make more optimal, timely decisions, and services that power consumer-facing experiences which improve the more they are used by visitors across our sites and apps. You will report to BuzzFeed’s VP of Data Science & Analytics, and manage a team of 5-10 data scientists. You will be deeply involved in shaping BuzzFeed’s applied ML roadmap and work closely with engineering leadership to identify opportunities to continue to develop our ML infrastructure.
BuzzFeed’s data science team works on a range of problems across the product and business units. The team puts together reusable building blocks that power our range of classifiers, ranking and recommender systems, and unlock new insights opportunities. They work in close partnership with our product, analytics and data platform teams. Over the past year we’ve made immense improvements to our data platform, which open up a range of new and impactful opportunities for our teams. This job will be based out of our NYC office, but we are remote as an organization until Summer 2021 due to COVID, and will continue to support remote work for select locations.
- Manage the health, staffing, and effectiveness of the data science team
- Establish both short and long-term strategic roadmaps for personalization and content recommender systems at BuzzFeed
- Provide technical leadership and career mentorship to data scientists
- Work with data leadership to identify high-leverage opportunities
- Collaborate with engineering leadership on further developing our Machine Learning infrastructure projects and roadmap
- Work with other leaders to proactively drive organizational improvement such as career ladders, culture, workflow, and reviews
- Motivate team by championing a culture of data informed services and metric-driven decision making
- Grow the organization through recruitment and outreach
- You are empathetic, curious and pragmatic
- You have compassion and experience supporting, mentoring, and helping people achieve their career goals
- You are resourceful and adaptable
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and simplicity
- You work collaboratively to deliver products and services
- You have experience managing and mentoring a team of data scientists, and a strong point of view about the role of data science in a tech organization
- You have good grasp of statistics, Python, SQL, and Machine Learning techniques
- Demonstrated experience with commercial recommender and/or content ranking systems is a plus
- Graduate degree in CS, Statistics, or data-related program is preferred
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life