Trending News Editor
BuzzFeed, New York, Los Angeles, or Remote
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed is looking for a writer / editor for a full-time position in our New York or LA office to cover trending stories for BuzzFeed.com. The ideal candidate is a conversational writer and experienced editor with proven skill in the fast-paced world of social and trending news coverage. If you're the type of person who's constantly looking on TikTok, Twitter, Reddit or LinkedIn (who knows!) for interesting stories and sending links to your friends until they beg you to stop, we'd love to hear from you! Bonus points for anyone with experience managing a small team of staff or freelancers and/or anyone with SEO experience. Residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington are encouraged to apply.
- Provide guidance for larger team on how to identify and write social news and human interest content, including defining best practices and making the final call in areas of sensitivity or uncertainty
- Identify human interest, lifestyle, and other trending stories that would be a fit for BuzzFeed.com (Some examples of what we mean here: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Write in a shareable, unique, SEO-friendly way
- Edit staff writers and freelancers as needed with little oversight
- Track and analyze your posts' site traffic and other analytics and use that to inform future ideas or initiatives
- Cover events and conduct interviews as needed; working after hours and weekends as needed
- Previous experience editing and writing for a magazine or website, or exemplary blogging/writing experience
- Demonstrated experience creating timely content under time pressure
- Experience writing about and editing difficult and/or sensitive subject matter
- Experience or interest in covering a wide range of topics including music, tv, film, fashion, beauty, sports, etc.
- Experience (or comfortability) reaching out to sources and experts and conducting interviews
- Understanding of the BuzzFeed audience and voice
- Familiarity with social monitoring tools (i.e. Crowdtangle or Buzzsumo) is a plus
- Previous trending news experience also a plus
FYI — just because you don’t meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Discuss the kinds of trending news stories that excite you, and that you’d be interested in writing about for BuzzFeed, and why.
- Tell us about which social networks you use the most, and why.
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
File hosting service
Jobs You May Like
BGB Group, New York