The BuzzFeed Ads engineering team is looking for a frontend developer to help us establish how a global media organization scales its business. This role is perfect for someone with a passion for digital media and who wants to work on projects with huge impact.
You’ll report to an Engineering Manager in London, surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time and want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. You’ll work with engineering, product, design, and data science colleagues globally across time zones. While many BuzzFeeders typically go into offices, BuzzFeed employees are encouraged to WFH remotely until at least mid 2021 due to the pandemic.
- Improve AdTech infrastructure across all our user facing rendering services and destinations, including BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, and Tasty
- Work in a data-driven way, using insights you collect on user behaviour to create compelling and engaging experiences
- Work with software engineers, designers, product managers, and others to understand and shape work before it becomes code and after it ships to production
- Reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed and get a deep understanding of large-scale media companies’ architecture and operations
Who you are:
- You have 2 or more years of experience in software engineering
- You understand that the web is for everyone and build inclusive, accessible systems
- You are a passionate, empathetic, and product-focused engineer who enjoys contributing to and leading technical projects and working with engineers at all levels
- You value testing, instrumenting and documenting your work
- You adapt quickly to change and love to ship and iterate, building on new user research, insights and data
About the Products
The Ads team maintains proprietary libraries that integrate into our frontend applications to render ads. We also build tools that help our colleagues across the business to build and deploy ad campaigns, and we build data pipelines and reporting to monitor how our ads are performing. We know that good engineers come from a variety of backgrounds and languages so if you don't already know the languages that we use, we trust that you’ll learn.
- Our frontend consists of several JS frameworks, such as React, Preact, and T3
- Our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node depending on the scope and context of the service
- Monitoring and instrumentation is essential for our advertising stack. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, and proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, and run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.