BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
BuzzFeed is looking for a Program Manager to lead a cross-organizational effort on data instrumentation, accessibility, quality, and governance.
BuzzFeed has been on the cutting edge leveraging technology and data science to guide and scale its business since day one. Today we ingest close to 2TB of data every day across our many brands -- BuzzFeed, Tasty, BuzzFeed News -- and platforms -- websites, apps, Apple News, Facebook, and many more. We’re looking for an individual who wants to have a huge impact on the foundation of our data operation and is excited to help take BuzzFeed’s data-driven strategy to the next level.
In this role you’ll collaborate in a truly interdisciplinary environment, with engineering, product, design, and data colleagues, as well as business and content stakeholders across the company, all of whom are passionate, generous with their time, and are eager to better integrate data into their tools and strategies. You will directly report to the Senior Engineering Manager leading our Analytics Engineering efforts. While many BuzzFeeders typically go into offices, BuzzFeed employees are encouraged to work from home through August 2021 due to the pandemic.
- Define and articulate a vision and roadmap for the quality and usability of BuzzFeed’s core datasets, as well as the means through which they are accessed. Products under your purview will range from datasets, to the infrastructure through which data is transformed, tested, and observed, to user-facing dashboards and tooling.
- Manage a complex sequence of tasks with dependencies across teams and organizations
- Interface with engineers, data analysts, and legal to establish and manage data governance processes to ensure we capture high quality, compliant data across all our platforms and organization.
- Develop deep domain expertise in instrumentation related areas, such as schema design and our front-end collection tooling & infrastructure.
- Help plan, execute, communicate project progress within your roadmap
- 4+ years of industry experience implementing and delivering data-related initiatives.
- Proficiency with SQL. (Experience working with BigQuery or GCP a plus.)
- A technical and analytical background.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and you understand and appreciate the value of clear and respectful communication.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity but focused on delivery.
- You are a team player who is comfortable working with engineers, data scientists, analysts and product managers across the org on complex problems.
- Very strong opinions on data privacy and data ethics.
- Endless curiousity, and are excited to explore datasets in pursuit of a question or hypothesis.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one