BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
BuzzFeed is looking for a Creative Director with extensive experience to join our branded content team. The creative director is the project leader responsible for guiding and transforming a campaign’s creative strategy by coming up with innovative, big ideas that meet client objectives while balancing the needs of the BuzzFeed audience, leading the project toward the best possible outcomes for our advertisers.
Primarily, the role will act as the creative lead, during the creation and execution of a campaign. This person will lead branded projects from a creative POV through the initial pitch and development of a campaign, overseeing the creation of high-quality creative work, coordinating the efforts of multiple teams, and ensuring campaign success.
This position is based in our Los Angeles offices. We offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
- Conceive and execute ambitious branded campaigns that translate our clients' objectives into great content that will delight our clients and BuzzFeed’s enormous global audience. We’re talking about stuff like this, this, and this.
- Partner closely with strategic planners to build rich creative ideas from unique audience insights that only BuzzFeed is uniquely able to uncover.
- Work with sales, marketing, branded creative, and editorial teams on campaign development.
- Collaborate with writers, directors, producers, designers and any other necessary talent on a program.
- Become an expert in our slate of talent and shows/channels such as Pero Like, Cocoa Butter, BuzzFeed LGBTQ etc, and find authentic branded opportunities that fit their voice.
- Direct videos when necessary at a high level and confidently communicate your creative vision to production and post-production teams.
- Dream up "never been done before" programs that help win new business.
- Partner with other functions across BuzzFeed to develop ideas and executions that ladder up to big ideas.
- Lead creative decision making on assigned campaigns: Oversee and manage the development from treatments to scripts to final edits to distribution; maintain accountability for the success of the campaign.
- Partner with clients throughout the production process to maintain balance between the campaign’s objectives as well as creative vision & best practices.
- Work closely with creative leadership to continuously bring new ideas to the table through experimentation and iteration.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for quality and accuracy of the end product of all creative team members.
- Ensure ideas can happen relative to budgets, timing, and capabilities.
- A proven ability in creating branded and sponsored content in thoughtful ways across multiple platforms.
- Strong storyteller with excellent communication skills and ability to inspire internal and external stakeholders with your ideas.
- Proven track record of identifying, vetting, and hiring diverse talent and personnel that reflects our audience and channels (Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, BuzzFeed LGBTQ, etc).
- An interest in and deep knowledge of the social web, including experience producing work for a variety of platforms and social networks.
- Ability to analyze content trends and audience insights and translate those to new branded content opportunities.
- 6-8 years experience at a creative agency, prior experience in digital media, editorial, or journalism is a plus.
- Curiosity and willingness to play. No haters.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.