BuzzFeed is looking for a Counsel, Corporate and Commercial Transactions, to join a small team of experienced talented attorneys dedicated to the negotiation, execution and related legal support for BuzzFeed’s most strategic transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, licenses, alliances and collaborations, joint ventures and other complex, high-value and high-profile transactions across all BuzzFeed businesses and geographies. The attorney will be based in our New York or LA office and may be required to travel to other offices. You will report to our Associate General Counsel.
- Lead the delivery of high-quality legal support for all types of business development transactions and corporate governance matters.
- Counsel and provide legal support to BuzzFeed leaders in connection with business development opportunities and business operations, tax planning and collaboration issues under existing and completed business development relationships and transactions.
- Structure complex transactions and develop solutions to challenging legal and business issues arising in the deal context while managing risk and ensuring BuzzFeed gets the intended benefit of the transaction.
- Draft, negotiate and interpret a variety of transactional agreements and commercial documents associated with the operations of BuzzFeed including Finance, Tax, and Sales.
- Coordinate activities of large deal teams and internal and external partners, from due diligence through closing and integration.
- Manage teams responsible for execution of large-scale transactions, including managing regulatory filings, approvals and compliance, integration planning, shareholder approvals, implementation of legal entity restructuring step plans and local deal implementation activities, and providing legal support for operational readiness work in multiple jurisdictions worldwide.
- Ensure the efficient use of outside counsel for transactional/business development matters.
- Maintain visibility in the industry by networking with peers in similar positions at other companies, and keep up to date with industry changes.
- Perform other work as assigned by your manager.
- JD and active member of the NY or CA State Bar, in good standing.
- 4+ years as a corporate or transactional attorney in a top law firm or large corporate department.
- Broad corporate and transactional law experience, including experience in public and private M&A transactions, securities, corporate finance, tax and other corporate law matters.
- Familiarity with intellectual property licensing transactions, in media or digital media-related commercial transactions, including contract negotiations and drafting.
- Experience drafting and negotiating a broad variety of corporate transactional documents (e.g., board resolutions and minutes, corporate certificates) and commercial contracts, and demonstrated skill at interpreting and providing advice to internal clients regarding rights, obligations, restrictions, and all other contractual provisions and financial aspects of commercial contracts.
- Ability to work independently and under tight timelines and to plan and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Strong leadership, analytic, organization and project management skills.
- Diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including the ability to influence and with peers, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with all business clients and other related personnel for the benefit of BuzzFeed.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, fast-paced and engaging environment.
- Willingness to handle matters in and outside areas of expertise with a can-do, flexible attitude, understanding that no job is too big or too small.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Gmail.
- Have the legal right to work in the United States.
- Experience as the primary or lead transactional attorney on complex M&A transactions
- Experience with cross-border M&A transactions, debt financing, divestitures, private and public company compliance and/or large-scale legal entity restructuring programs (i.e., internal corporate reorganization projects)
- Experience with licensing and collaboration transactions in the media industry
- Experience drafting or negotiating ancillary transaction agreements, such as transitional services agreements
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Impact everything around you.