Executive Director, Tasty/Head of Tasty
BuzzFeed, Los Angeles or New York
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
BuzzFeed’s world-renowned Content division is looking for an ambitious, data-driven and business-minded leader, overseeing all aspects of Tasty’s content including recipe, series, and culinary and tentpoles. From overseeing content teams across New York and Los Angeles, partnering with all internal stakeholders, responsible for execution of external partnerships and talent relationships, this person is the de facto expert on Tasty internally and externally and ultimately responsible for the brand’s success. They should have a unique mix of knowledge and experience in traditional media with a deep understanding of social media, digital video, social platform distribution mechanics. They should love food, cooking and especially the powerful impact Tasty has had on food media and the internet at large. They should value diversity of all types and be able to live that commitment in how we recruit, promote employees, foster relationships with talent, cast and create content strategies.
- Serve as chief creative of the Tasty content team, overseeing and aligning the brand’s voice, content and platform strategy through Tasty projects across the company.
- Oversee Tasty’s creative, pitch material and execution of brand and strategic partnerships sourced by Sales and Marketing.
- Engage with and communicate regularly to teams across the company around changes to strategy, market shifts and internal concerns with a bold level of transparency and vulnerability.
- Responsible for greenlighting all Tasty content initiatives, series, tent poles and recipe series with a keen eye for story, format and the brand’s ability to grow and monetize.
- Manage and develop a team of creatives and culinary professionals across New York and Los Angeles, elevating them to best support the team’s and company’s goals.
- Commit to and implement plans around the team’s diversity initiatives in recruiting, diverse pipelines, promotion of diverse employees, content strategies and talent & casting, while setting a consistent tone about the importance of diversity on the team and across the Content organization.
- Partner across the business on Tasty’s brand and strategic partnerships in line with Sales and Marketing.
- Partner closely with Publishing and Analytics to ensure that the Tasty team and all relevant Content org stakeholders are aligned on content and publishing strategies.
OPERATIONS & RESOURCE MANAGEMENT:
- Oversee yearly budget, allocating across teams, initiatives and projects using a data and business driven approach aiming for the most efficient return on investment, partnering closely with Production, Finance and Analytics to set budget based off corporate strategy.
- Monitor the efficacy of our video models, adjusting or overhauling as needed.
TASTY BUSINESS SUPPORT:
- Have an understanding of Advertising and Commerce revenue streams and be a strong partner to those stakeholders to achieve BuzzFeed’s business goals
- Support other teams and business functions through Tasty’s content, promotional efforts, brand awareness and global kitchens.
- Work closely with the Studio team to take Tasty intellectual property to new platforms like streaming, linear TV and more.
- Work closely with Talent division to help strategize and innovate around Tasty’s talent program, integrating the talent strategy across Tasty channels and content.
- 8-12+ years of experience in media, preferably most of it being in food or lifestyle media.
- Strong people management experience showing you can lead with empathy and vulnerability
- A deep understanding of various output and growth strategies, namely for the owned & operated platform where monetization and dynamics vary widely from social platforms.
- A heart for the monetization growth and potential of Tasty, working across the company to come up with new ideas to monetize Tasty’s content and point of view on food.
- Strong project management and communication skills
- Knowledge of changing digital and traditional media landscape
- Actual video and content production experience, preferably several years in food or lifestyle media
- Knowledge of best practices in SEO and recipe optimization
- Experience producing or overseeing production of mid to long-form content
- Experience and comfort with client and partner meetings
- Comfort speaking publicly on behalf of the company and brand
- Familiarity with a diverse array of rising talent and food media personalities across backgrounds
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.