Senior Product Manager, Distribution Intelligence
BuzzFeed, New York
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
We're looking for an experienced Senior Product Manager to lead our Distribution Intelligence (DI) team. You will have a passion for learning how the Internet and social media work, for using technology to make humans more efficient, and will work with a team of engineers, designers, and data scientists who are responsible for BuzzFeed’s content distribution technology and products.
The Distribution Intelligence team’s mission is to leverage automation, ML, and workflow tools to help BuzzFeed grow its audience and revenue in three ways:
- to amplify content engagement off-platform to increase the size and loyalty of our social audiences
- to drive more people back to our own platform so we can build direct relationships
- to expand and leverage our distribution intelligence to improve engagement on our owned & operated (O&O) platform.
Our automation and recommendation systems currently process almost 4,000 content assets a week across 160 distribution channels on five platforms, powering 70% of our link publishing and 60% of our video publishing.
This is a highly visible and influential role to help determine the future of our distribution products with a lot of potential for growth.
- Work closely with social, audience development, and editorial teams across all four brands: BuzzFeed, Tasty, HuffPost, and BuzzFeed News. You will drive alignment between their acquisition strategies and our technical capabilities, developing new ways to augment our teams with technology to super-power our distribution capabilities.
- Own and manage the internal applications that our social media team uses to publish BuzzFeed content to the most relevant destinations on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. This is an internal tool (similar to Social Flow or Hootsuite) that uses ML recommendations, automation, and smart scheduling technologies to help our social teams optimize for engagement and revenue.
- Own and deepen relationships between BuzzFeed tech and our social platform partners, keeping abreast of changes and looking for new opportunities. Help our teams experiment with emerging platforms such as TikTok, as well as expanding our acquisition strategy for existing channels.
- Become an expert in the distribution space externally & internally. Publish thought pieces that help evangelize BuzzFeed’s advantages in the wider tech space and internal communications to help build better alignment and understanding of technology’s potential.
- Perform product discovery on how we can better leverage our social tooling and strategies to curate content on our O&O platform (websites and apps), and potentially expand DI’s purview to cover the full range of acquisition channels including search.
- Be hands-on solving problems and executing projects at a tactical level while also defining and setting a strategy with your counterparts. This role is currently an individual contributor but could grow to include management of a more junior product manager.
- Experienced: You have 5+ years of product management experience launching and managing multiple digital products with a slant towards social media, analytic/reporting tools, and/or products that leverage machine learning.
- Collaborative and communicative: You have an ability to work well and communicate with engineers, designers, and data scientists as well as internal and external business partners. Experience working with data scientists is a plus. Flexibility and listening with empathy are a must for this role.
- Curious and analytical: You are proficient in data and insights. You regularly size opportunities and don't merely accept outliers in data, but investigate and dive into the numbers and research to find novel insights and new product ideas.
- A creative problem solver: You find innovative ways to solve stakeholder problems, and are more likely to launch an experiment to test viability of an idea than to embark on a huge feature project.
- Comfortable in the spotlight: You will need to collaborate with and help influence senior leaders across the company to advance our product strategy in a fairly complex problem space.
- User focused: You have a deep empathy for user problems and use this to identify solutions to enhance and improve their experience.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.