We're looking for an experienced engineer who can lead teams, contribute independently and work with other teams including Product, Design, and Infrastructure to deliver our products—this type of collaboration is key to our success. BuzzFeed’s engineering team runs a lean, iterative development process where we deploy early and often. As an engineering manager, you’ll lead a small team with huge impact!
BuzzFeed tech teams take pride in designing elegant, simple solutions to challenging problems, creating quality software and promoting best practices for writing maintainable, well-tested code. We need to build for scale and support millions of users globally. BuzzFeed has grown massively in the past few years both within our editorial teams and products, with groundbreaking news investigations and new brands such as Tasty.
You would be joining a fast paced company packed full of highly engaged people with the thirst to do great things through dedication to data and giving a voice to marginalized groups. As a leader, you would be best placed to help grow our teams and seed a healthy culture to make BuzzFeed a happy and productive place to work. Data measurement and insight is embedded in everything we do and with our continued investment in data infrastructure the possibilities to improve our site and journalism tools is endless - we’d love you to join us on this journey 🚀
About the role:
BuzzFeed engineering leads take initiative and drive technical and organizational improvement by creating standards and choosing tools that enable the entire organization. Our managers are forward thinking with process improvements and evangelize them thoughtfully and enthusiastically through the entire organization.
In this role you will lead a team building resilient content distribution systems and empower feature teams to safely build and ship features to millions of users. The team’s responsibilities include:
- Developer friendly Python rendering platform (based on Tornado)
- Modern static asset pipeline and shared FE component framework
- Custom AB testing platform
- Robust CDN configuration with Fastly VCL
- Flexible request routing with nginx
- … and recently we’ve started work on a powerful recommendation engine
You will create operational requirements for systems including persistence and systems performance goals. Comprehensive experience with software engineering and building complex systems at scale are required for this role. You’ll report to a Director of Engineering; working with a team of 10 engineers on site, 110 globally and acting as a technical lead for a squad of about 5 people.
- Mentor and manage a team of 3-5 engineers
- Lead technical initiatives and manage career growth for your team
- Work collaboratively with other teams across tech; other technical leaders and design/product/qa
- Own the output and day-to-day operations of your team
- Help translate business goals to technical projects
- Be hands on with code. Carry out code reviews and architecture reviews
- You adapt quickly to change
- You empathise with BuzzFeed audiences
- You are a compassionate leader who has experience training & skill building
- You excel at leading and delivering on complex projects
- You are diligent when it comes to writing documentation
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity
- You love discovering solutions to complex problems
- You work collaboratively and understand the importance of cross-functional communication to effectively deliver products
About our Tech Stack:
- Python / Go
- AWS, GCP
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Source Control (Git)
- Databases (MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, Redshift, BigQuery, ElasticSearch)
- Infrastructure Tools (Docker, ECS, Terraform)
- Messaging systems (NSQ)
- Monitoring / Instrumentation (Nagios, DataDog, StatsD)
- Service Oriented Architecture
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We fuse hard work and fun through a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, and humble confidence. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit http://www.buzzfeed.com
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer - Collaborative Editing team
Weedmaps, Irvine, CA, United States
SLC (Support Learning Code) Educator
Shopify, Anywhere in Canada
Server Applications Software Engineer
Strava, San Francisco, CA - Strava HQ
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Director, Strategy Deployment
Fitbit, US - San Francisco