BuzzFeed is looking for an experienced engineer who can lead teams, contribute independently and work with other teams including Product, Design, and Infrastructure to deliver our products.
About the role:
BuzzFeed engineering leads take initiative and drive technical and organizational improvement by creating standards and choosing tools that enable the entire organization.
In this role you will lead and empower a team building resilient content distribution systems and features that support millions of daily users. This team’s responsibilities include:
- Developer friendly Python rendering platform (based on Tornado)
- Modern static asset pipeline and shared FE component framework
- Custom AB testing platform
- Robust CDN configuration with Fastly VCL
- Flexible request routing with nginx
- … and recently we’ve started work on a powerful recommendation engine
You will create operational requirements for systems including persistence and systems performance goals. Comprehensive experience with software engineering and building complex systems at scale are required for this role. You’ll report to a Director of Engineering, working with a team of 10 engineers on site, 110 globally. You will be the technical lead for a squad of about 5 people.
- Mentor and manage a team of 3-5 engineers
- Lead technical initiatives and manage career growth for your team
- Work collaboratively with other teams across tech; other technical leaders and design/product/qa
- Own the output and day-to-day operations of your team
- Help translate business goals to technical projects
- Be hands on with code. Carry out code reviews and architecture reviews
- You adapt quickly to change
- You empathise with BuzzFeed audiences
- You are a compassionate leader who has experience training & skill building
- You excel at leading and delivering on complex projects
- You are diligent when it comes to writing documentation
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity
- You love discovering solutions to complex problems
- You work collaboratively and understand the importance of cross-functional communication to effectively deliver products
About our Tech Stack:
- Python / Go
- AWS, GCP
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Source Control (Git)
- Databases (MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, Redshift, BigQuery, ElasticSearch)
- Infrastructure Tools (Docker, ECS, Terraform)
- Messaging systems (NSQ)
- Monitoring / Instrumentation (Nagios, DataDog, StatsD)
- Service Oriented Architecture
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We fuse hard work and fun through a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, and humble confidence. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit http://www.buzzfeed.com
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer, Growth
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Samsara, San Francisco
Director of Technical Services
MongoDB, New York City
Sr. Engineering Manager - Report Center
Twilio, San Francisco, CA
Software Defect Manager- Contractor
Magic Leap, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA
Foursquare, New York