Senior Data Scientist
BuzzFeed, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Minneapolis, or Remote
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
- You will code in Python, Tensorflow, Keras, SQL and maybe Go leveraging industry leading ML development tools built on top of Google Vertex AI and AWS SageMaker.
- You will conduct comprehensive studies of BuzzFeed’s current approach to Recommender Systems to identify opportunities, gaps and identify areas of ML investment.
- You will partner with senior engineering and data leadership to strategize and develop ML architectures and research roadmaps.
- You will partner with ML scientists, ML engineers, Product Managers and Product Engineers to iteratively implement the architecture and execute on the research roadmap.
- You will contribute and shape the ML infrastructure to support your vision and execution needs.
- You are entrepreneurial, inventive but pragmatic to iteratively research and implement algorithmic solutions to challenging business and industry-wide problems.
- You have 4+ years of deep academic research (or equivalent industry) background in areas of Bayesian Modelling, Reinforcement Learning, Operations Research, Inferential Statistics and/or Recommendation Systems.
- You have 1+ years of industry exposure to Personalization and Recommendation Systems ideally in a high data velocity internet consumer scale.
- You are interested in architecting, researching, and deploying ML/DL systems in production environments.
- You enjoy the scientific processes of experimentation design, offline/online evaluation and experimentation error analysis.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!