BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is looking for a personal finance writer for a full-time, 6 month contract position on our US team (with possibility to extend after the first 6 months). As part of a new editorial endeavor, the person in this role will help BuzzFeed expand into the personal finance space by developing service-oriented and entertaining content for a largely millennial and GenZ audience on a small team.
We’re looking for an experienced and conversational writer and editor with skill in writing personal finance–related content that will help our audience understand money matters, big and small, making complex (and let’s face it, often dry) financial topics simple, accessible, and entertaining. There is an opportunity to pioneer fun and informative formats, from thoughtful explainers about credit scores and 401Ks to (actually useful) savings tips and financial product reviews to relatable personal stories, to tips for getting a promotion at work and more.
Here’s the kind of content you’ll be writing:
- 21 Important Credit Card Tips I Really Wish I Learned In School
- I Don't Share Money With My Husband, And I Think It's Saved Our Relationship
- There Are 7 Money Personality Types In The World And You're One Of Them
- 25 Sneaky Little Money Lessons You Might Not Have Noticed In "Schitt's Creek"
- Homeowners Shared 13 Tips That'll Truly Make All The Difference When Buying A Home
- 15 Things In Job Postings That Seem Normal But Are Actually Red Flags
If you're the type of person who could whip up a budget in their sleep, knows how to hack their way around the credit card points system, and isn’t afraid to have a frank conversation about money with friends, we'd love to hear from you! Bonus points for anyone with experience managing a small team of freelancers, working with affiliate partners or working on video or social.
- Research financial topics and products in different categories that are of interest to the diverse BuzzFeed audience
- Write shareable, helpful, relatable, entertaining, and SEO-friendly personal financial posts
- Develop innovative editorial formats, series, and projects
- Work with social and audience development team to identify and grow new audiences
- Analyze your posts' site traffic and affiliate analytics (if applicable) to drive new ideas
- Previous experience writing for a magazine or website, or exemplary blogging/writing experience about personal finance
- An understanding of the broader finance industry and the challenges facing millennials and GenZ
Empathy, and the ability to produce relatable and accessible finance content for people from all backgrounds and financial situations
Bonus to Have:
- Experience with SEO content
- Social and/or video skills
FYI — just because you don’t have a college degree or meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within and across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.