News Curation Editor
BuzzFeed, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Washington D.C, or Chicago
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed News is looking for an experienced social media strategist with a gift for online storytelling to join our News Curation team, the newsroom's hub for distribution on- and off-platform. The team does everything from running social media accounts, to monitoring breaking news, to working with editors on headlines and promotion plans for stories.
The ideal candidate will have 2-3 years experience at a news organization, an interest in exploring new platforms, and will be excited to be a part of a fast-paced and innovative newsroom. You will want to figure out what people are sharing and talking about online and how that blends into how we promote BuzzFeed News' unique and award-winning journalism.
You will be responsible for making sure BuzzFeed News' journalism is distributed across your assigned platforms for the day, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, push alerts, and homepages. When not slinging content on platforms, you will work with desk editors across the newsroom to prepare headlines and promotional plans for everything from sharp culture essays to major investigations. Being an absolute nerd about news and how it travels online is a must!
This job is full-time covering the evening shift (1-9pmET, 10am-6pmPT) with no location requirements.
- Manage the daily output on BuzzFeed News' social media accounts, homepages, and distribution partners like Apple News.
- Break down complex stories and draft promotion plans with editors and reporters, sometimes on tight deadline.
- Devise and carry out experiments big and small on our platforms.
- Provide live coverage on our platforms during breaking news events like award shows, debates, and whatever other chaos the world brings.
- A bachelor's degree and 2-3 years working experience editing an app, homepage, or social media account for a news organization preferred.
- An eagerness to explore new ways to tell stories and engage with audiences
- The ability to keep a cool head under pressure and work quickly, accurately in a fast-paced breaking news environment.
- An interest in why stories take off, and a hunger to learn about real-time analytics and social sharing tools.
- Must be a team player and live on the internet.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one