Frontend Digital Engineer
Amazingly Simple Graphic Design Software
At Canva, we’re transforming the way the world designs. Our mission is to make beautiful design possible for everyone. But making design simple is not easy and we need to continue to build a world-class team to pursue the many huge opportunities in front of us. So if you want to play a key role in one of the world’s fastest growing startups, this job could be for you.
We take great pride in designing a product and a brand that users really love. Just check out our Twitter stream. Your colleagues at Canva — like you — enjoy being the best at their craft and coming together as a team to create something world-class.
About the role
You will be part of the Digital Design team and work in conjunction with many other teams at Canva ( Product, Marketing, Growth, I18N … ). Focusing on all the public sites of Canva you will be responsible for the implementation and delivery of a wide range of digital projects :
- Hundreds of Landing pages. Getting over 1M views a month these pages bring over 30k signups a day.
- Company pages such as about us, careers (the one you’re viewing this ad on)
- And much more…
You will help bring these digital projects to life, working closely with designers and backenders within the team. Your role will be to implement all these new features and pages as well as optimising and maintaining the existing ones. Canva strive for good design and we value a lot the attention to detail. From the nicest hover effect or the slightest shadow to the smoothest animations.
- Develop new user-facing features, creative solutions for Canva’s marketing campaigns, landing pages, new product teasers, and a wide range of other digital projects
- Identify and communicate best practices for front end engineering within the team
- Interact with our back end systems
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Improve existing code base, architecture and workflow
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Ensure that the Canva experience spans a wide range of devices, from desktop to mobile
- Makes suggestions and participates in moving the company forward as being an expert in what they do
- Communicate with other team members to determine the best solutions to difficult problems
- Equity options in one of the fastest growing startups in the world
- Fitness membership
- In-house chef
- Company trips
- Relocation budget for overseas candidates
- All visa application processes covered
You are someone that loves coding beautiful WEB pages and anything digital. With a high attention to details, UI and interactions, you like to write your own Bézier Curves to time your animations perfectly. Implementing modern and beautiful design and focusing on user experiences and business goals. You have a strong focus and performances, best practices, SEO and responsive implementation.
- Expert knowledge of web technologies (HTML5/CSS3/JS)
- Don’t be too biased by any specific framework
- Good understanding of different ECMA versions and their differences
- Have an outstanding understanding of Critical Rendering Path
- Experience building and managing WordPress themes and the WordPress environment.
- Understands at least the basics of NodeJS and its concept
- Be able to write good object oriented JSHave a decent notion of PHP to integrate FE elements with it
- Understanding of React / Typescript would be a bonusIntimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development.
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing.
- Front end tooling (Webpack, SASS & Gulp)
- Build and management tools (GIT)
- Ability to collaborate with designers to rapidly prototype ideas
- Minimum 3-5+ years of experience in front-end development
- Clearly convey thoughts and ideas; both verbally and written
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering or a related field