Java Software Engineer - JVM Reliability & Chaos Engineering
Amazingly Simple Graphic Design Software
- As an individual contributor, design and implement tools and libraries that service teams can use to improve the reliability of their services. For example - adding a new long-awaited feature in our circuit breaker library
- Conduct and automate chaos experiments to identify possible scenarios where cascading failures may occur and to verify the reliability measures we introduce to prevent this work as expected. For example: discovering what will happen when this newly introduced service goes down, or, does the fallback for a rare failure actually work?
- Work with product engineering teams to ensure that reliability best practices and tools are rolled out in every service across the whole organization. It’s not enough to create a new throttling library, we want to make sure that it’s successfully used in every service.
- Deep investigation into production incidents - followed up by applying the learnings to the code base
- Researching, developing, and justifying the best choices in the form of design docs for tools and processes that will shape the future of reliability at Canva
- Promote creative and conceptual problem-solving approaches; as opposed to framework- or library-heavy patchwork
- Propose new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva’s distributed cloud infrastructure as we scale
- Participating in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
Requires Skills & Experience
- At least five (5) years of commercial experience of working as a reliability/chaos engineer in a large, distributed, cloud-based environment - any of the usual suspects (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure) is fine!
- Be happy to work in Java, since our services and libraries are primarily written in Java 11
- Disciplined coding practices and experience with code reviews and pull requests
- Strong communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal. As a reliability engineer, you will need to share the knowledge, communicate and coordinate changes across multiple service teams.
- Solid understanding of resiliency techniques and patterns – load balancing, throttling, back pressure, circuit breaking, etc - the good stuff
Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Onsite Gym; Yoga Benefits
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals that legally qualify for visa sponsorship
About us At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our platform combines a drag-and-drop design tool with a stock library of over 1 million photographs, illustrations and imagery. You can also choose from hundreds of professional templates to create social media graphics, presentations, flyers, posters, invitations and so much more. Our mission is to make design simple for everyone. Driven by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Want to learn more about Canva? Visit Canva's website.
Jobs You May Like
TCGplayer, Atlanta, GA