We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the group you’ll be joining
The Education Product Team is on a mission to empower creativity in every learner. This year, our team is doubling down on a number of critical initiatives to help us achieve our company level strategy of driving teams and collaboration in Canva by helping districts efficiently onboard and manage their schools in Canva. We want to make Canva the tool that every team big and small wants to use to collaborate and communicate in everyday - from the classroom to the workplace.
So far we’ve launched a range of educational and collaboration capabilities but this is just the beginning of our journey. As a product designer joining the Education Product in the Teams Product group, you will help us drive towards making Canva a household name in every school.
We are searching for an experienced Product Designer to help us lead the design direction and UX strategy for our district experiences in Canva. This includes defining and delivering end-to-end experiences that empower our district admin users to bring their whole school district into Canva to empower creativity in every learner. Your sphere of ownership covers how our users:
Onboard: empowering district administrators in districts large and small to efficiently onboard multiple schools through our self serve tools
Report: refining our reports to give district administrators insight into how schools in their districts are using Canva and empower them to get maximum value from all our features
Integrate: Learning Management Systems (LMSs) are critical to teachers and administrators efficiently managing classwork and students in the classroom. You’ll design intuitive and simple integrations that make publishing work between Canva and LMSs easy
You will not only have the opportunity to optimise existing district experiences in Canva but also the opportunity to define new and innovative district experiences that truly empower creativity, work and learning. You will work with designers, product managers and engineers across the Education Team and the Teams Product Group, Businesses and Education Supergroup, and Canva, and have a team-focussed design mentality. You are excited for and have experience in leveraging every aspect of the human-centred design process to tackle challenging user problems and are comfortable collaborating with and influencing stakeholders across Canva to achieve alignment and buy-in.
Goals you'll achieve:
- Working with research to understand our users, and identify opportunities for collaboration product experience improvements based on user insights and business strategies
- Envisioning and painting a path forward for how district administrators manage their district
- Defining how we can migrate schools who are already on Canva to district teams
- Identify new opportunities to simplify and enhance the district administrators experiences to drive the next level of Canva’s viral growth in schools
Experience you'll have
- 5+ years of professional UX/product design experience, ideally with experience designing administration software for education products and teams.
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You take a human-centered approach to your work and put users at the heart of your designs
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You are familiar with collaborating with customer success teams and helping to priorities sales needs
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big-picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.