Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Want to join Canva?
About the Presentations Group
Presentations is a group of around 20 engineers, product managers, and designers building one of Canva’s table stakes products. We have a great visibility internally as one of the foundational doctypes and our success is very much tied to that of the company. The group is laser focussed on growth and user experience improvements to exceed the offerings of the big players in the industry (Microsoft, Google etc.).
Our Presentations Group have big goals and we are looking to hire a technical leader that is close to the code but motivated to build an exceptional engineering team while taking the product to the next level. You will be in the thick of it - working across technical design, code architecture, hiring, engagement with key stakeholders across the business, and professional growth and development of the people they lead.
What you'll do:
- As a team lead, you will coach, mentor, and grow a team of engineers while developing your coaching capability to scale the team and meet the needs of the growing product.
- As a technical lead, you will have a hands-on focus on technical problems, solving the most ambitious problems, and guiding the team to deliver results.
- As an experienced engineer, you will help the team deliver scalable and robust product features for Canva users around the world.
- You will work closely with the Product Manager and Frontend Leads to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- You will drive the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- You will foster a culture of collaboration and advocate for the engineering needs of non-technical collaborators within the group.
- You will own and drive the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
- Proven success in technical people leadership or mentorship of junior engineers.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Ideally you will have skills in (though, not essential); Java, AWS (in particular: ECS, EC2, SQS, SNS, S3), Dynamodb, Redis, MySQL, Scripting (bash, python etc), Docker and Terraform
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Previous experience in working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
This role is based in Sydney, and qualifies for interstate relocation for those who wish to work from Sydney HQ.
This role is also open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney up to three times per quarter for team collaboration and company wide events.
The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on complex, large-scale, online products that delight our millions of individual and business users alike all over the world - then apply now to be considered for the position!
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.