Product Design Group Lead - Design Productivity
Canva, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Amazingly Simple Graphic Design Software
- We are searching for an experienced Product Design Lead to help us lead the design team in the Design Productivity group. As the Product Design Lead, you will lead the design direction and UX strategy for how Canva can:
- Boost productivity through powerful data and insights.
- Inspire users to collaboratively plan, create and execute designs.
- Help teams of all kinds stay on-brand with brand kits and brand templates.
- Power up design workflows with integrations.
- This role requires you to thrive in a collaborative fast-paced environment, working with Product, Engineering, Design, Marketing, Sales and everyone else in between. You have experience coaching and leading product designers and your communication skills empower you to inspire your teams to dream and achieve crazy big goals.
Goals you'll achieve in the first 6-12 months
- Building relationships with your design team, and learning how you can best support them;
- Collaborating and building relationships with your squad as well as teams both within and outside the Design Productivity group;
- Understanding the Canva product, our Teams offerings and our 2022 strategy;
- Understanding the different types of businesses using Canva today, how we acquire them, how they form, what they value, and why they stay;
- Understanding the different verticals Canva is targeting and their needs;
- Understanding Canva’s business - how we build product, grow, our levers and metrics;
- Familiarise yourself with existing design patterns and systems;
- Work closely with Product Managers, Engineers, Content Designers, and other Product Designers to envision the future of what it means to boost productivity in every team;
- Evolve our new ‘winning every business’ strategy, identifying high impact initiatives and gaining stakeholder buy-in across Canva;
- Work with other product leads across Canva to influence the roadmap of all Canva’s groups to meet the needs of all our business users.
What you’ll do
- Lead Product Design projects across one of Canva’s commercial groups.
- Contribute to scaling the Product Design team.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Engineering Leads to make sure you’re prioritizing the most important features/experiences.
- Work closely with your team developing Canva’s design productivity experiences – and ensure that they work well with future teams and collaboration features/experiences.
- Clearly communicate future design directions with key stakeholders including Group Leads, Design Leaders and Founders.
- Plan for future design resourcing needs with the Teams and Education Supergroup Lead and Head of Design.
- Help provide clarity to your design team through clear articulation of vision and strategy.
- Provide design feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills.
- Ensure our designers always design to our high standards of simplicity and usability.
- Produce and integrate effective & efficient design practices.
- Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
Experience you'll have
- Experience as a Product Design Lead, UX Manager or Design Director, directing strategy and design across a team.
- Direct experience with collaborating and communicating with senior stakeholders.
- Strong design coaching experience - you know how to make an impact through empowering, growing and motivating other designers.
- A track-record of tackling complex problems and delivering simple, elegant solutions. You hold a high-bar for designing clean, elegant, and usable designs.
- Deep understanding of how to uncover user needs through research and user empathy.
- Experience fostering an inclusive, open, and engaged design team culture.
- Extensive experience working with Engineers on feasibility, detailed design and finding solutions to complex problems.
- Experience working with Brand Designers, Graphic Designers and having strong empathy for graphic design and its impact on business results.
- A strong sense of design ethics - understanding that the design decisions we make at Canva impact millions of lives, every day.
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
About us At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our platform combines a drag-and-drop design tool with a stock library of over 1 million photographs, illustrations and imagery. You can also choose from hundreds of professional templates to create social media graphics, presentations, flyers, posters, invitations and so much more. Our mission is to make design simple for everyone. Driven by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Want to learn more about Canva? Visit Canva's website.
File hosting service