Senior UX Researcher (Design Experience)
Canva, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Amazingly Simple Graphic Design Software
About the role (6 month fixed term contract)
- Lead several high priority research projects for the Design Experience Supergroup. These may range from understanding user problems and needs, to help define a vision for a new feature or product (foundational); to evaluating Beta products to ensure that utility and delight is offered to users (evaluative).
- Apply a mix of qualitative (e.g., interviews, diary studies) and quantitative (e.g., surveys, insights from product data) methods to analyze user or product data and distill this into written and visual reports.
- Build relationships and closely collaborate with product teams (PM, Design, Engineering, Marketing, and more).
- Participate and contribute to our UX Research sub-specialty: join in on team meetings, share your expertise and opinions, provide feedback to fellow researchers
- Provide consultative guidance to PMs and Designers conducting their own research, within the Design Experience Supergroup (e.g. office hours)
- Be a champion for our users, and product experience: share your insights publicly across the company and inspire change that needs to be made to improve the Canva user experience.
- Be a role model for the quality of research work we strive for at Canva
- You're a qualitative researcher with extensive experience leading research studies: planning, recruiting, carrying out, analyzing, and activating. We expect to hear examples of how your research influenced product and design team decision-making.
- Excellent understanding of primary research methodologies such as interviews, diary studies, participatory design, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and know when these are best used. Additionally, you combine these with data sources like product data, experiments, support tickets to understand user needs holistically.
- You’re thrive in a fast paced work environment that requires outstanding problem-solving skills and autonomy.
- You have the ability to flex research plans depending on team needs, understanding and clearly communicating trade-offs.
- You enjoy closely collaborating with partners throughout projects, and consider bringing them along the journey to be an essential part of the process.
- You have experience mentoring and helping designers and PMs become better researchers, such as providing feedback on research plans, interview technique, or final reports.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills. Whether it’s during a workshop, presentation, or even a Slack message - you have a highly developed ability to rally a team together and inspire change.
You may also have
- Experience working in Lean environments: validating product ideas, and identifying prospective customers, for example with early-stage startups or Innovation Labs.
- A degree in Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, Social Science or a related field
About us At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our platform combines a drag-and-drop design tool with a stock library of over 1 million photographs, illustrations and imagery. You can also choose from hundreds of professional templates to create social media graphics, presentations, flyers, posters, invitations and so much more. Our mission is to make design simple for everyone. Driven by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Want to learn more about Canva? Visit Canva's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.