Full Stack Engineer
ABOUT HUMAN INTEREST
Human Interest is a Y Combinator-backed company that offers an easy and affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We've built an automated, paperless 401(k) that makes it possible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees -- something that only 14% of them are able to do today. In doing so, we're empowering businesses of any size to safeguard the financial futures of their employees.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Do you want to change a massive and broken industry? A good 401(k) solution is nearly impossible for small companies to find (many providers won't even talk to them), involve an overabundance of paper forms, and are sold with shady kickbacks to financial advisors whose interests are misaligned.
Our low-fee automated investment advice means that employees in small businesses will have more money for retirement. Much more.
Human Interest is building a beautiful retirement investment product for every startup and small business. We make it possible and painless to offer their employees a premier, affordable 401(k).
This is a challenging role. Engineers skillful in building product and rapid iteration will do well here. Being able to work full-stack, across our front-end and back-end services, is also crucial. You'll work directly with business stakeholders to define features and then take ownership of them from start to support in production.
We’re passionate about building a happy team, useful software, and take a great deal of pride in our work.
What makes a happy team?
- Providing time and space to do your greatest work (and to read books!)
- Trusting and listening
- Asking unassuming questions (curiosity when confused)
What makes useful software?
- Make it obvious to the user what to do and when to do it to achieve their goals
- Fast to understand and to change
Please apply if you don't match everything listed here! We are more interested in talent and trajectory than qualifications or knowledge.
You might be a fit if:
- You love being a generalist
- You love collaborating with other engineers and partners across the business
- You love shipping features and solving real problems, instead of purely technical challenges
- You love using the right tool for the job, or at least, the tools that we've chosen :)
- You are excited to help define the engineering culture of a small team!
Nice to Haves In Descending Order Of Niceness
- Experience working as software engineer
- Working knowledge of SQL (ideally experience with PostgreSQL) -- we <3 SQL
- Prior startup experience
- Experience with React, Redux, or GraphQL
- Experience with Express and Sequelize
- Experience with TypeScript, Gulp, ES6, Webpack, and Babel
- Experience with Go(lang)
Why Work With Us?
- We just closed our Series A round of funding, and we count hundreds of businesses all over the United States as our lovely customers. We're proud to be working with business owners and employees who are doing amazing work across a variety of industries: technology, construction, retail, medicine, nonprofit, and many more!
- We have a world-class team from diverse backgrounds, each with a track record of success. We come to work every day knowing we're working on an important problem: helping people save for retirement at a critical time when pensions are going extinct and Social Security isn't enough.
- We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity for a secure financial future. We want idealistic and talented people to join our team of doers and builders.
- You'll be given autonomy and many responsibilities, all while working with a fun and passionate team of entrepreneurs. Above all, you'll help us solve the #1 financial concern for Americans: not having enough money for retirement.
Human Interest acknowledges the fundamental value and dignity of all people. We've pledged ourselves to developing and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, ideas, heritages, and experiences. We're committed to honoring our differences by accepting nothing less than equitable treatment of all applicants and employees.
Diversity and inclusion help us do better as a business, and we deliberately build processes to create a workplace where all are welcome and accepted. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
As an employee benefits company, benefits are very important to us, and Human Interest's philosophy is to be generous when it comes to employees' wellness. Here's what we currently offer:
- A great 401(k) plan: our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation.
- Top-of-the-line health insurance plans, as well as dental and vision insurance, with premiums fully paid for by the company.
- An annual membership to One Medical Group, with membership fees paid by Human Interest.
- Commuter benefits (use pre-tax money to pay for public transportation, with the company contributing $30/mo)
- FSA with an employer contribution of $500 per year.
- Dollar-for-dollar match of employee donations to non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations, up to $500 per year.
- Healthy snacks and drinks available at our office.
- Parental leave policy
- Primary caregivers: 16 weeks PTO
- Secondary caregivers: 8 weeks PTO
- Time off can be taken any time within the first 12 months of the child's birth
- Office just a short walk away from Montgomery BART and MUNI
- Conference room with video games and couches!
- Regular team offsites retreats and fun events
- Well-stocked snack kitchen
- The highest quality coffee and teas
We have a very particular philosophy when it comes to perks. We believe employer funds are best spent on making our team bond and be more productive, while also investing in the long-term physical, financial, and emotional well-being of our employees.
About us Captain401 offers the easiest and most affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We empower all businesses, no matter their size, to safeguard the financial futures of their employees. We are an automated, paperless 401(k) that reduces all administrative burden for our customers. Enrolling in our plan takes just a few minutes and our website is simple and user-friendly for both employers and employees. Captain401 provides innovative solutions for a massive problem—as of 2015, U.S. retirement assets totaled $25 trillion. Even so, less than half of Americans have saved enough for retirement. We want to change that. Captain401 is backed by Y Combinator, SoftTech VC, SV Angel, CrunchFund, Slow Ventures, and other top Silicon Valley investors.
Want to learn more about Captain401? Visit Captain401's website.
Jobs You May Like
Front End Engineer IV - Multichannel
SendGrid, Redwood City
BounceX, New York
Senior Java / PHP Software Engineer
PlayStation, San Mateo, CA
Director of Software Engineering (Blockchain)
The Vanbex Group, Vancouver, Canada Area
Senior Software Engineer, Services
MyFitnessPal, San Francisco, CA