Senior Software Engineer in Test
ABOUT HUMAN INTEREST
Human Interest is a Y Combinator-backed company that offers an easy and affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We've built an automated, paperless 401(k) that makes it possible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees -- something that only 14% of them are able to do today. In doing so, we're empowering businesses of any size to safeguard the financial futures of their employees.
Human Interest acknowledges the fundamental value and dignity of all people. We've pledged ourselves to developing and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, ideas, heritages, and experiences. We're committed to honoring our differences by accepting nothing less than equitable treatment of all applicants and employees.
Diversity and inclusion help us do better as a business, and we deliberately build processes to create a workplace where all are welcome and accepted. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Why Work With Us?
- We just closed our Series A round of funding, and we count hundreds of businesses all over the United States as our lovely customers. We're proud to be working with business owners and employees who are doing amazing work across a variety of industries: technology, construction, retail, medicine, nonprofit, and many more!
- We have a world-class team from diverse backgrounds, each with a track record of success. We come to work every day knowing we're working on an important problem: helping people save for retirement at a critical time when pensions are going extinct and Social Security isn't enough.
- We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity for a secure financial future. We want idealistic and talented people to join our team of doers and builders.
- You'll be given autonomy and many responsibilities, all while working with a fun and passionate team of entrepreneurs. Above all, you'll help us solve the #1 financial concern for Americans: not having enough money for retirement.
As an employee benefits company, benefits are very important to us, and Human Interest's philosophy is to be generous when it comes to employees' wellness. Here's what we currently offer:
- A great 401(k) plan: our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation.
- Top-of-the-line health insurance plans, as well as dental and vision insurance, with premiums fully paid for by the company.
- An annual membership to One Medical Group, with membership fees paid by Human Interest.
- Commuter benefits (use pre-tax money to pay for public transportation, with the company contributing $30/mo)
- FSA with an employer contribution of $500 per year.
- Dollar-for-dollar match of employee donations to non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations, up to $500 per year.
- Healthy snacks and drinks available at our office.
- Parental leave policy
- Primary caregivers: 16 weeks PTO
- Secondary caregivers: 8 weeks PTO
- Time off can be taken any time within the first 12 months of the child's birth
- Office just a short walk away from Montgomery BART and MUNI
- Conference room with video games and couches!
- Regular team offsites retreats and fun events
- Well-stocked snack kitchen
- The highest quality coffee and teas
We have a very particular philosophy when it comes to perks. We believe employer funds are best spent on making our team bond and be more productive, while also investing in the long-term physical, financial, and emotional well-being of our employees.
How do you make software that behaves well? How do we know that it will continue to do that in the future? How do you create a safety net for fallible humans — not just a safety net, but a guide? What constitutes failure, and how do you measure it? What are the ways in which you can break web applications?
These are questions that our ideal candidate will have grappled with for some time, made many mistakes, and developed nuanced positions on.
You'll be joining a highly collaborative engineering culture. We have an Architecture Review Board that regularly meets and discusses how to prioritize paying down technical debt. We set aside 20% of the team's time for doing this. We also love pair programming, in-depth code reviews, and documenting our work.
What you'll do
- Assess the risk of change to our codebase (what are the critical paths? are we testing them well?)
- Strategize about how and where to refactor existing code to increase test coverage and reduce risk of change
- Make a strategy for increasing correct behavior globally (test coverage is necessary but insufficient, think fuzzing and random ordering)
- Lead discussions and code reviews centered around best practices in creating correct code (lint, regression testing, etc)
- Make testing fast and frictionless to make the right thing to do the easy thing to do
- Create metrics around tests and failure
- Improve our developer tooling and build process
Please apply if you don't match everything below!
We are more interested in talent and trajectory than qualifications or knowledge.
You may be a good fit if
- You started out building features, but became a leader on your team around testing and QA
- You started as a manual tester, but became an engineer through learning automated testing
- You geek out on the latest testing frameworks and infrastructure products
- You run tests immediately after pulling a repo
Fun problems for you to work on
- Our CI tests are really slow on CircleCI, help!
- We have a whole lot of code spread across a few repos and languages, it feels hard to test, help!
- We have a lot of sensitive data in our production database which we can't use in tests, but we need to test with realistic data (e.g. PDF parsing), help!
- We have a big design change coming up and we'd like to test it intelligently but don't have frontend tests yet, help!
Technologies we use
- Front-end: React, Baobab, GraphQL, Sequelize
- Cloud: Heroku (and a hacked buildpack for headless Chrome), Amazon S3
- Persistence: PostgreSQL with a bit of Redis
- Security: TweetNaCl, scrypt
- Legacy: Tonnnnnnns of interfacing with old systems via CSVs and SFTP
About us Captain401 offers the easiest and most affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We empower all businesses, no matter their size, to safeguard the financial futures of their employees. We are an automated, paperless 401(k) that reduces all administrative burden for our customers. Enrolling in our plan takes just a few minutes and our website is simple and user-friendly for both employers and employees. Captain401 provides innovative solutions for a massive problem—as of 2015, U.S. retirement assets totaled $25 trillion. Even so, less than half of Americans have saved enough for retirement. We want to change that. Captain401 is backed by Y Combinator, SoftTech VC, SV Angel, CrunchFund, Slow Ventures, and other top Silicon Valley investors.
Want to learn more about Captain401? Visit Captain401's website.
Jobs You May Like
Principal Embedded Software Engineer
Fitbit, US - San Diego
Software Engineer - Backend
Nextdoor, San Francisco, CA
Thumbtack, San Francisco
Technical Writer Engineering - Contractor
Magic Leap, Inc., Austin, TX
Java Software Engineer
1stdibs, New York