VP of Sales
ABOUT HUMAN INTEREST
Human Interest is a Y Combinator-backed company that offers an easy and affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We've built an automated, paperless 401(k) that makes it possible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees -- something that only 14% of them are able to do today. In doing so, we're empowering businesses of any size to safeguard the financial futures of their employees.
Human Interest acknowledges the fundamental value and dignity of all people. We've pledged ourselves to developing and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, ideas, heritages, and experiences. We're committed to honoring our differences by accepting nothing less than equitable treatment of all applicants and employees.
Diversity and inclusion help us do better as a business, and we deliberately build processes to create a workplace where all are welcome and accepted. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Why Work With Us?
- We just closed our Series A round of funding, and we count hundreds of businesses all over the United States as our lovely customers. We're proud to be working with business owners and employees who are doing amazing work across a variety of industries: technology, construction, retail, medicine, nonprofit, and many more!
- We have a world-class team from diverse backgrounds, each with a track record of success. We come to work every day knowing we're working on an important problem: helping people save for retirement at a critical time when pensions are going extinct and Social Security isn't enough.
- We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity for a secure financial future. We want idealistic and talented people to join our team of doers and builders.
- You'll be given autonomy and many responsibilities, all while working with a fun and passionate team of entrepreneurs. Above all, you'll help us solve the #1 financial concern for Americans: not having enough money for retirement.
As an employee benefits company, benefits are very important to us, and Human Interest's philosophy is to be generous when it comes to employees' wellness. Here's what we currently offer:
- A great 401(k) plan: our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation.
- Top-of-the-line health insurance plans, as well as dental and vision insurance, with premiums fully paid for by the company.
- An annual membership to One Medical Group, with membership fees paid by Human Interest.
- Commuter benefits (use pre-tax money to pay for public transportation, with the company contributing $30/mo)
- FSA with an employer contribution of $500 per year.
- Dollar-for-dollar match of employee donations to non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations, up to $500 per year.
- Healthy snacks and drinks available at our office.
- Parental leave policy
- Primary caregivers: 16 weeks PTO
- Secondary caregivers: 8 weeks PTO
- Time off can be taken any time within the first 12 months of the child's birth
- Office just a short walk away from Montgomery BART and MUNI
- Conference room with video games and couches!
- Regular team offsites retreats and fun events
- Well-stocked snack kitchen
- The highest quality coffee and teas
We have a very particular philosophy when it comes to perks. We believe employer funds are best spent on making our team bond and be more productive, while also investing in the long-term physical, financial, and emotional well-being of our employees.
THE MARKET OPPORTUNITY
Human Interest is disrupting a massive, but broken industry. Current solutions are built on legacy software, involve cumbersome physical paper forms/distributions and are sold with shady kickbacks to financial advisors whose interests are misaligned.
With nearly $5 trillion in assets, 401(k)s are a standard employee benefit at large corporations and the most requested benefit after healthcare. In spite of this, only 14% of small businesses are able to offer a 401(k) due to the stacks of paperwork, manual administration, and compliance headaches involved.
Enter Human Interest. Human Interest allows businesses of any size – even ones without an HR department – to give employees the ability to plan for their futures and save on taxes with a 401(k). A shocking 78 million people in the United States work for companies that don’t offer a 401(k) as a benefit. Human Interest automates and modernizes one of the last big HR problems and applies a technology based solution to easily administer what has previously been tedious, expensive and confusing.
Reporting to the CEO, the VP Sales will be responsible for driving the revenue growth of the company, while also ensuring that customers are delighted that they chose to place their trust in Human Interest. He/she will be called upon to deliver the quarter-to-quarter sales results needed to achieve revenue targets for the company, while building the foundation for long-term leadership in the space. The VP Sales needs to be a high-integrity leader who can build and lead teams, inspire people to accomplish the impossible, and maintain ongoing relationships by devoting strong attention to customer satisfaction.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The VP Sales will have the following responsibilities:
- Run all of Human Interest’s sales and attain aggressive growth targets
- Hire A-level players and build a potent sales organization
- Maintain a customer-focused, fast-paced, team-oriented culture
- Meet objectives relentlessly and resourcefully
- Work with the executive team to accomplish Human Interest’s mission of being the company the world trusts to 401(k) solutions.
The ideal candidate for the positions should have:
- Sales experience at the Director or Senior Director level in a high-velocity sales environment selling to SMBs
- Experience building and executing a sustainable sales strategy and creating sales process
- Proven decision making to help guide successful startup growth
- A consistent track record meeting revenue goals
- Superior presentation and negotiation skills
- A demonstrated track record of satisfying customers
- Experience in recruiting, leading and growing a sales team
The ideal candidate for the position will be:
- Passionate: Thrives in a competitive startup environment and does what it takes to win
- Self-Starter: Able to function without a large support organization
- Hands-on: Will lead and take ownership of sales, lead by example
- Entrepreneurial: Resourceful, figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality
- Collaborative Team Player: Proven collaborator with superiors, peers and staff
- Evangelical: Able to evangelize and concisely deliver the pitch and value proposition
- Disciplined: Brings a proven ability to execute across all sales functions
- Highly Intelligent: A quick study, able to grasp business issues
- Open, Effective Communicator: Excellent listener, proven ability to negotiate with peers and customers
- Credible, With High Integrity: A reputation in the industry for sustained, principle-centered, win-win relationships
In a relatively short time, Human Interest has amassed an impressive roster of customers, due to its unique technology, its sterling products and its competitive advantages. In addition, the company is well-funded and positioned for long-term growth. The VP Sales has an excellent opportunity to expand the company’s leadership position and profit accordingly.
Human Interest in all respects is a true startup, and as such, faces all of the challenges associated with such a venture. The new VP Sales will need to hit the ground running and take charge of the company’s efforts to grow its revenue quickly. In particular, the modern 401(k) market is heating up significantly, presenting a real “land grab” opportunity over the next few years. The successful candidate will be capable of leading the way to take advantage of this opportunity and extend Human Interest’s leadership position in the future.
About us Captain401 offers the easiest and most affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We empower all businesses, no matter their size, to safeguard the financial futures of their employees. We are an automated, paperless 401(k) that reduces all administrative burden for our customers. Enrolling in our plan takes just a few minutes and our website is simple and user-friendly for both employers and employees. Captain401 provides innovative solutions for a massive problem—as of 2015, U.S. retirement assets totaled $25 trillion. Even so, less than half of Americans have saved enough for retirement. We want to change that. Captain401 is backed by Y Combinator, SoftTech VC, SV Angel, CrunchFund, Slow Ventures, and other top Silicon Valley investors.