Staff Research Scientist - Colloid Specialist
Carbon, Redwood City, CA
Stop prototyping. Start producing.
- Be a subject matter expert on colloid - which includes: pigment, colors and pigment dispersion to guide and accelerate formulation development for 3D printing resins, while interacting with cross functional teams of other chemists, process development engineers as well as external suppliers.
- Studies and understands colloidal particles and their stabilization and interaction with other formulation components both for resin shelf life and the printing process through analytical, experimental and modeling work.
- Design accelerated studies that can well project long term stability of various pigments in different resin formulations, and manage equipment needed for such studies as well as creating SOPs.
- Develop dispersion methods, including process and chemistry to enable stable resins.
- Engage with suppliers to find and/or create appropriate pigment dispersions for 3D printing resins, and work with process engineers to manage the technology transfer to the manufacturing organization to ensure stable, consistent resins.
- Advanced degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related field with 5-10 years of industrial experience in which a strong focus on pigment dispersions is present such as creating solvent- or water-borne pigment dispersions, inks or coatings. Outstanding BS/MS level with 10+ years industrial experience will also be considered.
- Understanding of fundamental chemical mechanisms, key areas include – pigment and dye chemistry, polymers in solution, organic and inorganic nanoparticle suspensions, interfacial and surface chemistry, color science, and proficiency in appropriate analytical instruments and the data interpretation.
- Specific knowledge or experience working in polymer (acrylic latex, polyurethane, polyamide, polyester, water-based) material formulation and/or synthesis is desired.
- Experience developing ideas and reducing those ideas into practice. Demonstrated ability to get results.
- Design of Experiment, statistical analysis, and model development skills desired.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Self-motivated team player with strong verbal/written communication, and interpersonal skills.
About Carbon WHO WE ARE Carbon works at the intersection of hardware, software, and molecular science. Our vision is a future fabricated with light, where traceable, final-quality parts are produced at scale with CLIP technology. CLIP — Continuous Liquid Interface Production — makes this vision possible by combining engineering-grade materials with exceptional resolution and surface finish. HARNESSING LIGHT AND OXYGEN TO PRODUCE OBJECTS FROM A POOL OF RESIN, CLIP is a photochemical process that eliminates the shortcomings of conventional 3D printing by harnessing light and oxygen to rapidly produce objects from a pool of resin. From everyday products like tennis shoes and electronics, to industrial components, to highly customizable medical devices, CLIP makes it possible for creators to design the parts and products of the future.
Want to learn more about Carbon? Visit Carbon's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.