Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
CarGurus seeks an attorney to join our growing legal team and to focus on the Company’s data protection and commercial activities. As a Privacy and Commercial Counsel, you will provide legal support primarily to CarGurus’s Product and Engineering teams to ensure that CarGurus can continue to lawfully provide products and services that will contribute to our trusted and transparent automobile marketplace. You will work in a fast-paced, motivated legal department that values teamwork.
What You'll Do:
Privacy and Compliance
- Work collaboratively with our product, engineering and business development teams to help ensure that our products and business processes are compliant with applicable laws and regulations, including those relating to consumer protection, security, and privacy.
- Provide legal counsel on product and feature developments.
- Stay current on policy issues and legal developments relating to online marketplaces and the automotive industry.
- Draft clear, consistent disclosures and terms to enable our consumers to make informed choices about their privacy and use of our services.
- Analyze the application of international (e.g., GDPR), federal and state (e.g., CCPA) privacy laws and regulations to the company's business to ensure compliance.
- Develop and support Data Protection Program, including corporate policies, operational controls and business processes.
- Monitor and provide advice on implementation of new privacy and security laws and regulations impacting the company's business.
- Drive cross-functional organizational education of risk awareness and proactive risk identification and assessment.
- Provide practical legal advice on licensing, intellectual property, and commercial matters.
- Assist with the protection, prosecution and/or enforcement of our intellectual property and contractual rights.
- Structure, draft and negotiate strategic partnerships, vendor contracts and other commercial agreements.
- Develop, implement and ensure compliance with corporate policies.
Who You Are:
- A minimum of 5 years major law firm legal experience
- Excellent academic and law firm credentials required
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to practice in Massachusetts or other U.S. state
- Skilled at providing practical legal and business advice regarding a wide variety of issues
- Track record of working as a “team player” within a legal group to support departmental and company success
- Experience addressing legal issues relating to regulated products, with experience relating to automotive, insurance, financing and/or data protection matters preferred
- Previous in-house experience with technology or automotive industry preferred
- Ability to quickly and effectively prioritize, review and negotiate agreements in the context of business circumstances, and to provide advice that recognizes and integrates legal risk, business objectives and scale
- Strong research/drafting abilities and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with individuals from multiple departments and disciplines at all levels of the organization in a dynamic environment
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Interns are paid. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK, Germany, Italy and Spain with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.
At CarGurus, we believe a transparent car shopping experience is better for shoppers and sellers alike, and we innovate constantly to deliver on that promise. Today more than 20 Million (and growing) unique monthly visitors use our site and our mobile app to find their next car. With headquarters in Cambridge, MA, CarGurus has that "start-up feel" (we dislike meetings, play lots of foosball, have catered lunches and fun company outings—the list goes on). Unlike many start-ups, however, we have the advantage of being profitable (since 2010!) with sustained revenue growth. CarGurus is an engineering-driven company with a passion for data, and that drives everything from the speed at which we launch new products to the spirit of innovation that drives our company’s culture.
Want to learn more about CarGurus? Visit CarGurus's website.
Jobs You May Like
Lead Principal Trading Specialist
The Trade Desk, Detroit, MI
SIRA – Infrastructure and Real Assets Vice President – Asset Management
Finance & Strategy Analyst
Nextdoor, San Francisco, CA
Scoop, San Francisco, California
Sr. Commercial Counsel
Penumbra, Alameda, CA
Senior Analyst, Strategic Finance –Sales
SurveyMonkey, San Mateo