Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
CarGurus seeks an attorney to join our growing legal team and to focus on the Company’s international operations.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with our product, engineering and international teams to expand our product suite
- Negotiate commercial and technology agreements, particularly in the EU
- Address international regulatory issues and international compliance policies and procedures
- Handle US and EU data protection and privacy matters
- Address human relations and employment issues for international employees
- Deal with international intellectual property issues
- Provide support in a wide array of practice areas and special projects as needed
Who You Are:
- A minimum of 3 years major law firm legal experience
- Excellent academic and law firm credentials required
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to practice in Massachusetts or other U.S. state
- Skilled at providing practical legal and business advice regarding a wide variety of issues
- Track record of working as a “team player” within a legal group to support departmental and company success
- Experience addressing legal issues relating to international expansion including data protection and regulatory compliance
- Previous in-house experience with technology company preferred
- Ability to quickly and effectively prioritize, review and negotiate agreements in the context of business circumstances, and to provide advice that recognizes and integrates legal risk, business objectives and leverage
- Strong research/drafting abilities and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with individuals from multiple departments and disciplines at all levels of the organization in a dynamic environment
- Experience managing local counsel preferred
- Experience with internet, social media and e-commerce issues and advertising and marketing issue preferred
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.
At CarGurus, we believe a transparent car shopping experience is better for shoppers and sellers alike, and we innovate constantly to deliver on that promise. Today more than 20 Million (and growing) unique monthly visitors use our site and our mobile app to find their next car. With headquarters in Cambridge, MA, CarGurus has that "start-up feel" (we dislike meetings, play lots of foosball, have catered lunches and fun company outings—the list goes on). Unlike many start-ups, however, we have the advantage of being profitable (since 2010!) with sustained revenue growth. CarGurus is an engineering-driven company with a passion for data, and that drives everything from the speed at which we launch new products to the spirit of innovation that drives our company’s culture.