Principal Software Engineer, Digital Retail
CarGurus, Cambridge, MA
Find and share automotive knowledge
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple. This gives our customers the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US, and we are growing fast. Ready to come along for the ride?
The Digital Retail team at CarGurus is looking for a skilled Principal Software Engineer to help mentor others and drive exciting projects in the automotive space. As a member of this team, you will be a huge part in helping transform the way people buy cars by enabling a full online retail experience and building the most innovative online car purchasing platform available.
This is a very exciting time for CarGurus and is a huge opportunity for you to be a part of something truly amazing.
Our currently public initiative are:
- Financing – Enabling financing transparency.
- Digital Retail – Building the blocks to enable online transactions
Our startup DNA means we particularly value diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives. Come help build the next phase of CarGurus!
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, designers, and data analysts to take an idea from concept to technical design to implementation to testing to measurement.
- Pitch in wherever there will be the greatest impact. This could be anything from implementing a new full consumer facing feature, to integrating with a key partner or technology, to a quick vapor or A/B test to help determine what’s next.
- Work with partner companies to define requirements in order to integrate their solutions with our platform
- Be deeply engaged in the full development lifecycle designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, monitoring and improving software.
- Advocate for new technology and new methodologies
- Continuously learn and expand your capabilities
- Have fun!
Who You Are:
- Expert in OOP (Java preferred), ideally in fast paced environments
- Solid experience in the data layer including SQL, caching strategies, and storage alternatives
- Comfortable with Web Tier technologies and strategies
- A strong understanding of data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly, with loose direction.
- Ability to guide and mentor more junior engineers (for Principal and Lead jobs)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- React experience is a plus
- Curious and plays well with others
- 8+ years of relevant work experience needed
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.
At CarGurus, we believe a transparent car shopping experience is better for shoppers and sellers alike, and we innovate constantly to deliver on that promise. Today more than 20 Million (and growing) unique monthly visitors use our site and our mobile app to find their next car. With headquarters in Cambridge, MA, CarGurus has that "start-up feel" (we dislike meetings, play lots of foosball, have catered lunches and fun company outings—the list goes on). Unlike many start-ups, however, we have the advantage of being profitable (since 2010!) with sustained revenue growth. CarGurus is an engineering-driven company with a passion for data, and that drives everything from the speed at which we launch new products to the spirit of innovation that drives our company’s culture.
Want to learn more about CarGurus? Visit CarGurus's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one